GTD65 review by Crate

Crate: GTD65

I use a Dean Razorback DB with this amp and it sounds absolutely awesome!! The triple channels are really nice. Plus, it comes with a footswitch for instant switching of the channels. There is a clean channel, which can have a deep, rich, warm tone, to a sharp, bluesy tone. There is also a distorted channel which gives you a 80's hair metal sound, at least on my guitar. The third channel sthe high gain channel. I don't even need a seperate distortion pedal this works so well, but it does sound better with one. The distortion sounds a bit muddy and grungy at low volumes, but after three or four, it's crisp and loud, but can be a bit staticish (noisy).

My overall impression of this amp is very good. I play metal and classic rock and the amp holds up to this style very well. The distortion is good and the clean is great. I love everything about the amp except for the DSP effects. The aren't really that special. Otherwise, there is nothing else wrong with this amp. Compared to other amps I played, this one sounded better than amps twice it's price. If it were lost or stolen, I'd be pissed and track down whoever stole it, and cram my metal down his throat. I use this with a Razorback DB, which is a metal guitar, and it holds up very well, not a lot of excess noise, except at high volumes. At this price, you can't beat it. it's an absolute steal.

This amp is extremely reliable. I've had the amp for about 6 and 1/2 months now and nothing has ever gone wrong with it. I have banged it up against walls, doors; dropped it, knocked it over, etc. It hasn't been dinged, scratched or anything and looks like it did when it came out of the box. The footswitch is made of some durable metal and hasn't been cracked or chipped at all. It is extremely well made.

The Crate GTD65 Guitar Amplifier combo features the FlexWave, a solid-state preamp that provides convincing tube-like tone and feel. It has 65 watts of power, three channels, a 12" speaker, CD inputs, and DSP effects. The amp itself is 13.8 in. wide, 22.8 in. in depth, 20 in. high and weighs around 36 lbs. I use this amp in my room and in the basement for band practice. It has incredible volume for 65 watts. I only need to keep it at three or four when I'm with my band and that plenty loud. The CD input is really nice because you can play along to your CD's at the same time you play. The DSP effects are Reverb, Chorus, and Delay. The Chorus and Reverb work really well but, the delay effect gives you hardly any delay at all. I recommend buying a separate delay pedal if you want it.

offsetmike
    umm just a comment... i agree that solid state amps will never get the smae tone as a tube amp... also...Marshall does have some crappy stuff out...look at the mg series...it sucks and its way overpriced... (also its kinda funny how forums like this always turn into big arguments hahaa)
    f22master
    STFU!!!!! all u guys who are sayng it broke are just hatting on crates. it prolly broke cuz you were throwing it down a flight of stairs or kicking it or lighting it on fire!!! crates are just fine. there tough but there not a tank! i bought this amp for 160bucks a GC and iv had it for like 3 months now. it looks and plays like brand new. CRATES ROCK!!! period.
    Metal_Master77
    i know MOST crate's suck. Ive played my freinds at it sounded absolutely horrible. And he was using a gibson les paul. But for me, this amp works just fine and until i can afford a better amp, this one will do alright. Its not perfect, but its not as bad as you guys say it is.
    fLYinGV23
    i had a crate v series tube amp. IT SUCKED ASS! i hated the tone and took it back in 3 days. i swapped it for a Line 6 spidervalve tube amp, im never goin back, it rocks too much!
    ThrashJeremy
    I agree with this review. Recently I purchased this amp to get my band started and it helps. Just turn back that Treble and Gain a bit.
    6atreyu9
    I started out on a little 15 watt crate. It wasnt bad but personally im a randall mann
    mitch rite
    Crate vintage 20 club, got it used for 300 bucks, and it's amazing. I have yet to find a cheap solid state that even comes close to my tube amp, and my tube was so cheap
    JOE_DESTROYER
    Crates are pieces of shit... mine ****ing broke 2 weeks after i bought it, and they wouldnt replace/repair it for under 100 dollars ****in piece of shit
    metalcoremax87
    ive owned 3 crate amps including this one and they have all broken within a year of owning them. Also, i had this exact amp and i had to return 2 of them to the store before the 3rd one finally didnt break after playing on it for a week. Crate amps are less expensive but not a good amp in the long term.
    ScreaminSavior
    Marshall's are NOT the greatest! it just depends on your taste i guess to determine whats the best. i personally hate Marshalls. [[i know im gonna get flamed for that. =/]] whatever, leave this amp alone. i played my brother's and it was pretty awesome.
    TDAJGuitarist
    There is NO pedal that can be mixed with ANY solid state amp that will get the sound that I currently have with my Mesa Dual Rectifier....So really...That comment about getting any tone you want is a total lie...
    Prince Albert
    pwn'd
    ShamiqSevenfold
    SLD.Potato wrote: No, the FlexWave preamp does not offer "convincing tube-like tone and feel".
    wow,your my hero
    CustomCustom
    Its not a tube amp distortion but falls into a handfull of solid states Id buy to practice with, I bought a Line6 Spider 15 for the bedroom b/c of effects and price vs. the crates.
    stompbox
    this is too dave gilmour please be my friend lol .we think alike and that is very true. i wish that they would bring back the crate stealth now that amp had balls big balls
    Dave Gilmour
    "Tube-like tone and feel" my ass... When are people going to realize that you just can't emulate tube with solid-state...?! Come on!
    H, Omitted
    not all Marshall's are perfect mind you. All brand names have churned out crap products before and marshall is no different. now about crates, footswitches need to be taken care of very carefully. Some have complained about the in/out jacks on the foot pedal. Mine was ungodly loose and I had the shop I bought it from send it back to the factory for it to be fixed since the hardware store had no nut to match the thread of the jack. Almost two months went by before I got the thing back. The distortion on it is all right, but the FX are crappy, get individual stompboxes
    GibsonPWNS
    BornToRun wrote: AlexAvarice wrote: Well, for the price, I'd say this amp is just fine. People bash Crate for 'bad quality', but some people just don't have $2000 to throw at some stupid Marshall (Which are SO overrated). All you have to do is use a pedal and you will be set for the sound you hope to get. but i prefer my Peavey Valveking tube amp. 50 watts, 1x12" speaker. Price: 420
    You have to be fkn kidding me..... First off A good Marshall head can be gotten for under a grand. Second off I think I speak for everybody when I say that a Marshall is perfect... screw close to... it is.....
    hhr
    nikkore1 wrote: this aint about your valveking. its about a crate amp. I prefer my pit bull over my rat terrier. You see how no one cares? Best comment I've seen all day Hahahahhaaha +1
    nikkore1