GTX212 review by Crate

Crate: GTX212

Purchased from: Periwinkles Music Emporium

It has a great smooth feel to it. I have not been able to play this Live yet but I have cranked it up. It has plenty of kick and power behind it, enough where I don't doubt it Live. It of course loses a lot of the smoothness that this amp has, but way later than any other amp of the same size that I have heard, especially a Marshall.

The kind of music that I play is quite interesting. I mostly play alterative with a sight grungy and J-rock feel to it. I play an Ibanez RG 321 and a Boss GT-6 floor multi-effects pedal. This has made amp shopping really hard. I needed an amp with an ultra smooth clean sound for one song to deep thraoty distortion on the next. This amp has a great smooth feel and sound to it, great for chords, which I play a lot of. But it has the power that distortion also needs. I think this amp has pulled through on all that I wanted it to.

I haven't really had it for all that long, but its construction looks to be sturdy. Crate is notorious for durable amps, so I am not all that worried. Well, I don't have a back-up amp to play Live, but, I'd trust it enough to go to a show with just this amp. It comes with a generous 5 year factory warranty. I hope to not use it, but hey, it happens.

This amp is awesomely smooth. The GTX 212 is a 2x12 120 watt solid state combo amp. It has three main features, clean, rhythm, and solo. "Clean" is naturally just a normal no effects channel. "Rhythm" is an overdrive channel that focuses more on EQ than gain. The last main channel is "solo", which is your typical hi-gain distortion, great for your modern metal/hardcore. This amp also has a great secondary channel too. The "DSP" channel is a multi-effects channel. It has chorus, delay, flanger, phaser, tap wah, and octave down. Nothing serious, and not really built for switching between or fine tuning, but it can get the job done, especially for personal use. It also of course has a seperate reverb knob, agian nothing fancy. I reconmend for any band to go with a seperate foot pedal for any of the above effects, but I also don't want to put down the onboard effects. But the external foot pedal will have more control and EQing than the onboard.

Goblumich07
    danielrobbyshor wrote: crate suck
    i disagree. Crate are extremely powerful and versatile. Their flexwave system provides one of the best sounds from a clean channel out there. Sure, it's not a Marshall, but that's why it costs half as much. Imo, best bang for the buck available in the amp market
    peavey T-40
    the first amp that i bought was a crate and it sucked major dong it was horrible and it ended up breaking down on me waste of money my advice just save up and buy a marshall you won't be dissapointed
    KingJustinian25
    Uhh, i played a 1700$ marshall half stack at guitar center and was barely different that my crate GT212 combo (i was also playing with a better guitar). sure its a little better, but 1500$ more for a little sound isnt worth it.
    USAPeavey
    For the solid state amp market, Crate makes a decent product. What people don't hear much about is their tube amps. The crate V series are some of the best sounding class A combos I have heard.
    seargentkitty
    I agree with Goblumich they are great for their value and they are extremely reliable. I have never had a problem with my amp ever.
    guitar_doodoo
    i've had this amp for a couple years. the rhythm gain knob and the shared high knob is getting loose. sometimes it cuts in and out.
    zoso1016
    for thosee of saying crate sucks, why don't you actually try dialing your tone in.