GTX65 review by Crate

Crate: GTX65

Purchased from: Dakota Pawnbrokers

I use a crappy First-Act that was bought from K-Mart (don't get anal here, I'm saving to buy a better electric) and my acoustic-electric Applause. The clean channel can provide warm tones, especially with chorus. it's sound varies from DSP effects such flanger, phaser, touch/reverse wah, octave, vibrato to delay levels like tape echo, echo, single, or you can just not use them altogether (but why not have any fun with experimenting). Previously mentioned, it has 3 channels and effects/delays can be programmed into them by your adjustment and by pressing the Save button. I randomly play A Perfect Circle, Tool, Metallica, and this amp allows for a decent sound when I play each of these bands.

Line 6 and First Act products I've tried pale in comparison to this amp. I've only had it for a few months, but it has been the most pleasureful few months of playing w/ it. It suits my style of playing, and I would love to put this beast to the test on stage. If it were stolen, I would not only get another one- but I'd find the dude who stole it, extract the info as to it's location, bring it back and have two of the same amp for double the everything.

I know I will depend on this amp, but I think a cab would help at a gig, hell, maybe even in a jam session. It hasn't broken down yet, partly because I've only had it for a few months. When I got it from Dakota Pawn, I knew that I would be satisfied with it's effects and the fact that it's more powerful than my last amp, about 51 watts more powerful.

This is my review of Crate's GTX-65 combo amp w/ DSP. It has 3 channels (clean, solo, rhythm) with a footswitch. There are multiple effects and levels of delay that can be saved onto each channel, as well as your knobs that control highs, middles, lows, volume, gain, level, and shape, which allows for how hard you want your distortion to be. I just wish I had a cab to allow for greater sound distribution.

jirkle
    the only reason it is better than line 6 and first act is because neither one of them is very good.
    Zangetsu 101
    I've got the GTX30 version. Its alright for using around the house, its better than a Line 6 Spider and MG(compared in store), but is still nothing special.
    jeffo46
    I beg to differ.Most Crate amps are highly underrated,and if you don't know how to set them right,then you're going to have problems.I own a 1997 USA made,GX-65,which would blow the paint off the walls in your house!