GTX65 review by Crate

Crate: GTX65

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store

I am using this amp with a LTD F-250 that has passive EMGs on it. I play metal (as you can see in my username), and the amp does metal pretty well in my opinion. I mostly use it on the Solo channel because of the shape knob which scoops mids, but not too much. I think it sounds pretty good for an amp I had for 300$ brand new. The things I do not like with this amp are the effects, they do not sound "natural", they are digital effects. That's why I don't use them, I've never been a fan of effects anyways so it is not really a problem to me, but I wouldn't recommend someone to buy this amp because of the effects. The Solo and Rhythm channels are basically the same, except the Solo, as I said before, has a shape button, which scoops the mid frequency a bit, if you set it at 0 it will sound exactly the same as the Rhythm channel. The Clean channel is decent, I have no I idea if it distorts at higher volumes, I never used it for high volumes. I play it with the volume around 2 and it sounds alright for me.

In conclusion, I play metal and this amp suits me well for now. Sure I wouldn't use it in professional recording or recommend it to a pro, but I'm happy with it since the beginning, I will probably replace it eventually to get something better (like a tube amp). Overall, I've been playing guitar for 4 years, and owning this amp for 3 years. I have another amp, a Ventura Vintage 30, which is horrible, even for a practice amp, it is horrible, I'm glad I have this GTX65 so I'm not forced to play with the Ventura one. It is not a bad amp at all, it does its job very well for a solid state amp, and I think Crate is underrated, and it shouldn't be. I'd recommend it to a musician if the musician itself has a chance to get one for cheap.

I've been using this amp since I bought it, which was 3 years ago. I never had any kind of problem with it, the speaker never let me down, nothing ever blew up in it. I would trust this amp on a small gig without backup, although I would be a bit scared of taking the risk of going on a gig with this amp without any backup. I still think it is reliable.

This is a 65 watt combo solid state amplifier, with a 12" speaker I purchased in 2007. It has 3 channels, the Solo channel that features a gain knob, a shape knob, a volume knob and uses the Rhythm channel's 3 band EQ, the Rhythm channel has a 3 band equalizer, gain and volume, and, finally, a Clean channel with a 3 band EQ and a volume knob. This amp also features a bunch of effects, it has a knob that switches between a few effects such as Chorus, Vibrato, Flanger, Touch Wah, Reverse Wah, Phaser and Octaver, while another knob switches between delay effects: Echo delay, Single delay, Echo FX delay and Tape Delay. There is also a knob for reverb, and a tap button you can use to set the speed of some of the effects, and to save your current effects settings. The amp also came with a footswitch.

Megadeaf
    I have a smaller crate that really kicks it out. They are the king of low budget amps. Except for maybe Peavey.