GX10 review by Crate

Crate: GX10

Purchased from: A flea market

I play a Mexi Stratocaster, single-coil pickups on it. It's great for everything that I play. You can slam fifty different effects into it, and it still sounds like an angel's harp. I play a little blues, punk, some alternative rock, some funky type stuff, oldies and classic rock, some metal, and my own creations. It's only seriously noisy if you really crank it. It's a little bit fuzzy if you've got the Drive all the way up, and especially if you turn the Overdrive volume way up. It can make ringing clean tones, some really acidic punk and grunge tones, and it's great for metal stuff. The clean channel distorts a little bit if you turn it way up and set the guitar to the bridge or neck pickup. It also sounds a little muddy if you do that at really high volumes. The distortion is my one complaint. To really get oomph out of it, you have to dial the volume up pretty high. And, you can't get Guns N' Roses type metal-distortion without a pedal, no matter how you try.

It works great overall with my style of music. A little over a year. Zoom 505 #2 guitar multi-effects pedal, Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal, an el cheapo (yet quite capable) foreign guitar, and a hollowbody electric that there's no brand name on. As stated before, I play a Fender Mexican Stratocaster.

I've had it almost a year, and it's never failed yet. However, it did refuse to emit any sound other than hum once when I plugged it into a circuit that the ground was bad on. It doesn't like non-grounded circuits! Not at all! It's a hardy little amp. It's taken its bumps and bruises, and yet it keeps on slammin' and jammin'! Rule #1 with me. You always have a backup, regardless. If it does, by some horrid twist of fate, crap out on you, you don't wanna play without your amp, get booed off stage, and then find out that there was a record producer in the audience. Not good!

Solid state, no idea of the manufacturing date. Is it versatile enough, not exactly. The overdrive isn't strong enough for like, Nirvana, but it'll do. If I need an overdrive or distortion boost, I'll get out my Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal. Other than that, this 0 Watt amp will do on five on the clean channel what a Fender of the same wattage barely does on seven or eight! It has a 3-band EQ, clean channel, overdrive channel, seperate volume switching for each channel. It has an F/X loop of sorts. You have to use a Y-cable, and you run a cable to the input on your pedal loop, and one to the output, and run them into their respective ends of the F/X loop. That way, it's only 1 jack. It has a headphone jack. I use it at home. It's not powerful enough for my kind of garage band jamming, and it'd do a small indoor space like a small-town Starbucks on overdrive. I'm gonna get a variable power setting head and stack for performance and garage jamming.

mikevmpr3
    I Actually got a decent "djent tone out of this amp after i modded it to be compatible with vintage 30 speakers.
    gwugluud
    A guy walked into the music store while I was there (small store in this little town, not a lot in there) with some acoustic guitar (blehh), a Crate GUITAR, which I never knew Crate made guitars...and this Crate GX-10. I asked to check it out. I plugged the Crate Strat copy (which is ORANGE! ) and heard it out, and liked it. The dude was trying to sell this stuff in there and they were dogging him out. I asked if he could take 150 USD for the axe. He kept looking at me. So I said "I know that's a crap offer, hahaha" But he went "No, that's too much. 100 dollars for the guitar and the amp". I was like..."Uh, sure man, that would be an excellent deal, if only I didn't feel like I was ripping you off, lol" This GX-10 ROCKS. Someone said "acidic punk and grunge tones"...Spot on. A very excellent sold state amp, esp for recording. Put an SM57 up to it, and the result is amazing. Best buy ever. If u see one, buy it.