GX15 review by Crate

Crate: GX15

I play mostly hard rock, and blues, and it works aight for that, but a Marshall amp is much better. If it was stolen, I would get something different.

The GX15 was designed to be the perfect practice/home studio amp. Light and powerful, this amp offers beginners all of the essential tone to begin their musical voyage. Comes with a Five Year Limited Warranty. - Crate 8" speaker - 15 watt RMS guitar amp - FlexWave Evolution Five preamp - Two channel - Headphone jack - External speaker jack - Measurements: 13" x 13.5" x 8.25" - 15 lbs.

MojoBlues007
    It's not that bad. Bought one used at a Guitar Center for a friend who needed a starter amp. Friend never learned to play and I got it back. I think it was about 25-30 bucks. Look, the deal is, if you know HOW to play, you can make this or practically any amp sound good, it's all in the hands and technique. That being said, it really isn't that bad. Clean channel with effects sounds like you want those effects to sound, and the master volume/distortion channel can be dialed in for a good hard rock, metal, or even blues tone. Amp snobs need to get over themselves and learn to make their equipment work for them, not the other way around. No, it's not some hand-wired boutique amp, but it's not a bad little amp. Oh, also very tough and dependable.
    Cleric33
    This was my first amp, although now i use a fender princeton 650. I love this amp, I have an Ibanez SZ520 with EMG 81/60 pickups. The distortion sounds awesome from such a small amp, its almost identical to the distortion from a fender amp, or a Boss DS1 pedal. The clean sound is very bad though. I highly recomend it for a practise amp
    ohnoitsFEZ
    i got this amp new, i is probably the worst amp ever made. its accents the attack (when you first strum) then the rest is a very low crappy sound. the distortion make me want to kick puppies because you dont even have to touch the guitar and it sounds like crap already.
    scotch59
    this was my first amp and still is iv had it for over a year and a half now. i never realized how crappy it was until i started looking into tube amps and experimenting with other amps at guitar Center. its alright if your learning how to play. im about to upgrade to a vox AC4 TV i am pretty damn excited!
    DeathByDestroyr
    My band mate has the GX-60? and the GX130C head. They are a great series for a metal tone if you know what your doing eq-wise, especially with a speaker swap.
    severalwills1
    this ruins my sound. i run a crybaby and a boss os2 overdrive through this-it makes my overdrive EXTREMELY muddy.
    Mitchell?
    My Fender Frontman 15 watt bass amp (solid state) has better cleans than this. Not to mention the distortion sounds like a load of shit.
    Mitchell?
    Anyone know how many ohms the external speaker jack on this amp? I know it sucks, but I'm getting a Valve Junior and was wondering if I could buy the cab first, and use this with it until I got the Valve Junior head.
    Cobalt Blue
    This was my first amp too. it was pretty crappy. I traded it to my friend for a crappy snare drum and 10 bucks. it didn't sound half bad when I ran my fuzz face and crybaby through it though.
    OttovanZanten
    hm.. thinkin of buying one.. i got a bigger crate, wich i lopve (G160XL) but i need something to take with me to the band how is this clean? I use my digitech hot head for distortion.. how does this sound?
    OttovanZanten
    Sound: It's ok. Nothing spectacular. I played on my friend Marshall amp, which was the Marshall equivalent of this amp. Way better. This amp buzzes really loud with distortion on. It's nasty, and not in a good way. // 6 Marshall MG series? THIS IS WORSE????? HOW THE HELL did they manage to make anything worse then the MG series (Opposing Force, Those Cubes are good, they have boss effects built in )
    OpposingForce
    I have this amp it was my first amp and its a piece of crap. Im about ready to replace it ... thinkin of a Crate GX15
    evolutionised
    clean sounds average, but the distortion sucks. since i generally use it with effects (so the distortion channel isnt used) it's alright for me. my previous yamaha was way better.
    ilootin
    This amp is so bad, i got it as a first amp and it has a really bad buzz when on high levels, the distortion on high levels just sounds like total $h*t, so awful!
    Breakdwn
    I got this amp second hand as inheritance along with a ablene as10 bk and it was quiet old but it seems to be better than most peoples ones maybe its a get better with age kinda thing, but very poor good if you want low care.