GX212 review by Crate

Crate: GX212

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Using a Hamer Diablo with a Boss ME-33 multi-effects. The guitar and amp sound great together without the effects. Gives a very warm clean sound. The amp and guitar give a wide range of sounds. The gain channels are a little weak for hard rocking sometimes, but like I mentioned before, I just use my multi-effects now. Noisy as hell when run on the gain channels with the multi-effects, but that's not the amp's fault. Otherwise very quiet, clean channel still clean at high output. Great stuff!

I play mostly rock. A wide variety of rock though. From pop rock to hard rock. And a little bit of metal. Whatever the group feels like doing. This is a pretty versatile amp. Combine that with a multi-effects and you can play just about anything. If this amp was lost, I'd probably buy it again. And if I buy something else it'd just be a stack from the same series. This series is great for my setup. I love the amp's simplicity. Because of the multi-effects, I don't need anything too fancy on the amp, and this amp serves that purpose very well. I've just been hating taking the damn thing for repairs recently. I played through a little 15 watt Peavey amp before. I took this amp because it was simple enough; just clean and gain channel and reverb. When I looked to move up from the little Peavey, I chose this amp because it didn't have anything fancy, like the Peavey, which is exactly what I wanted.

This is the one thing that makes me mad about my amp. I've had to take it in for repairs twice in about 6 months (I've owned the amp for almost 2.5 years). First time it was a bad capacitor and bad soldering. Second time it was the insert jack. This was all covered by the 5-year transferable warranty, but it was still annoying to take it in for repairs. Especially because the second time it died during the final soundcheck at a big gig (I wasn't playing guitar, I was on drums, but I'd lent my amp to our guitarist because mine's bigger). From watching my amp die on someone else like that, I will never gig without a backup. Then again I never gig without a backup anything.

The amp has three channels, one clean and two disorted channels. I only use the clean channel because my effects have all the distortion I need. And I use multi-effects, which are noisy as hell, so I wouldn't be able to use the gain channels if I wanted to. But I don't want to, so the amp suits me fine. If I need to, I might turn down the gain and balance levels so one of the gain channels becomes a solo boost channel. Comes with a three button footswitch for me to do just that. Switches between channels and reverb on/off. Amp has lots and lots of power and volume. I filled a large church hall with about 150 people in attendance without having to crank the volume too high. All other times I've mic'ed the amp and gone through the house, with the volume as low as I can go while still letting the amp sing out. Lots of power and enough volume still even if you don't have a PA.