GX60D review by Crate

Crate: GX60D

Purchased from: The Curb

I use this with a Reverend Daredevil. When it's using more of the Neck pickup, it's best suited for clean. When using more of the bridge pickup, any channel works. When using more of the neck pickup, it has a tendency to sound muted and muffled with the distortion. It has a slight buzz to the amp when it's set on the more intense gain and on the bridge pickup, but it's not very loud and is much so outweighed by the pinch harmonics that can be squeezed out of it. The clean is best suited for playing something more Acoustic or light. The distortion is better suited for rock, but the most intense distortion channel is best suited with the gain turned high and for shredding some metal riffs.

I play a wide variety of music from acoustic/clean music to the heaviest metal riffs. It's been quite a good match- the sounds on it can match just about any style of music. If it were lost or stolen, I would indeed try to buy another one of these. But because Crate has discontinued it, I probably wouldn't find one. I love the whole sound of it and it's sturdiness. Whenever I lug around my pedals, there's also enough room in back for the pedals and cords, so it's a great deal. There were only ever 2 things I'd like to change about it- the first would be the fact that the sound cuts out (see Reliability and Durability section). The second is that I wish it were lighter. This amp is 55 pounds of Beast!

It's quite dependable. I found it curb shopping around town. The kickpedal didn't work at first, but it was just because of the cable, but I think that the person threw it out because of the kickpedal. For a freeby, it was a great find. I've only ever had one problem with it. Occasionally, the amp just looses sound, and I have to lightly hit it to get it to work again, and it may do it again after a few minutes. The problem only ever occurs after playing for a while.

I don't know what year the amp was made. The amp is quite versatile in it's style- It's got a clean and 2 types of distortion on it. A kick pedal came with it, so it can be switched between the channels easily. It has a headphone jack and jacks to plug the kickpedal in on several spots. One for clean/distortion/super distortion, one for no/reverb, one for no/chorus. I don't use the chorus or reverb on it too often. They sound fine, I just don't have a use. I use it at home, but it is better suited for louder play. The level knobs are quite touchy. When it's on 1, it sounds like a practice amp. But just tap it beyond that, and it's blowing your mind. I've never gone beyond 4 on it.