GX65 review by Crate

Crate: GX65

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Like I said, I bought this over 3 years ago used, and have not once encountered any problems with it. The tone from this amp is absolutely great IMO. The clean is bright and clear, although the Reverb can be a little strong, keeping it at around 3-4, evens it out in the mix. The Gain on this is the best that I've ever heard on any SS combo ever and has 2 settings, one for Blues and Classic Rock, and the other for full blown Metal. Using the shape control allows for a wide range of tones, ranging from B.B. King to a Kirk Hammett type of sustain and drive. This amp also works with pedals very well. I'm currently using a Zoom G1N with it and the combination is just great!

I play Classic Rock & 80's Metal and this amp has the tone for what I play. It's the best 95 bucks I ever spent! I've been playing for over 36 years now and if something ever happened to this amp, I would be devastated. Of course I'm sure I could get another one through E-Bay but, there's just something about this particular model.

Mine was made in September of 1997, thus making it almost 14 years old, and I've had it now for over 3 years without any problems at all. I've used it at many small gigs and for a 65 watt combo, this beast can get really loud. I've used it without a backup and never have to worry when I'm gigging with it. I also have a Crate GTD 120 and a Fender Frontman 65 and I have to say that this is my favorite out of all 3 of my amps.

Mine was made in September of 1997 and is still going strong. I bought this in February of 2008 and have never had any problems with it. It's a 65 watt, 2 channel combo with 2 different kinds of distortion and has a 12" Crate special Design speaker and was made right here in the good ole' US of A! It weighs in at around 32 lbs and comes with a single button footswitch. It is Solid State by the way and sounds great after all these years!

jrakus
    I like it. 8 years since I bought it and I still like the tone and drive it produces. Like one reviewer said about the drive - you either love it or hate it. It has its own drive sound not emulating Marshall/Mesa/etc. It is very loud and good sound starts once you go past 3 on the volume. The reverb is not good at all IMO.
    Paul544
    The Crate GX65R sounds ridiculously good, the depth, the realism. In fact it sounds superior to other Crate models I have heard, was it a mistake?, I don't know but I almost traded it in on a new similiarly powered Fender amp but when it was brought into Guitar Center for a comparison run the Crate GX65R won hands down, even the salesman was shocked. I grabed my GX65R and left the store with it, not looking back.
    Roland333
    Question, I have a GXL65 CRATE american made solid state amp. It has an semi open back, it has a Crate 12 inch speaker in the back, with no visible damage anywhere on the speaker, or the amp for that matter. I have had the amp stored in a dry and climate controlled area for the time I have owned it. It is about 10 years old. I bought it new. Here is the issue; I have a metalzone 2 BOSS pedal, which I use with this 3 channel amp. This pedal can get a very harsh great metal tone. Lately, while using it, I am noticing some signal noise, like its own distortion interferance that is NOT a part of the normal sound when I have the pedal on. The notes I play sound muddied now compared to the nice distortion sound I was previously getting. The rest of the amp without the pedal is fine, so far. Can you point me in the right direction on what to do? Before I send it to the local Guitar center for a repair??? any help would be greatly appreciate it, it is actually in my profile pic on the lower right there.....Please help?
    thomasmichaelba
    yep iv had mine for 12 years now, iv had other amps, and have played many other amps still best amp in the world never had a problem with it they dont make them like this anymore