GX80 review by Crate

Crate: GX80

Now this one has a panel on the front grille, saying that it is Celestion equipped, although I have discovered that later models were made with the typical stock Crate special designed 12" speaker. I'm assuming that this is probably from the 1st line that came out and IMO, sounds absolutely fantastic. The clean on this, has a bright switch which enables you to dial in that classic Fender tone, while the Reverb is the best that I have ever heard on any Crate SS Combo. The Gain, while not really enough to be used for say, Thrash Metal, is quite capable of handling Classic Rock, Blues, and even 80's Hair Metal providing you know how to arrange the EQ settings on the amp.

I've been playing guitar for 40 years now and I have to say that this is the best Crate Solid State combo that I have ever played through. The sound on this, with the Celestion, is like a cross between a Fender and a Marshall Tube combo. If anything happened to this, I would see about getting another one, providing that it had the Celestion in it. Most used Crate combos can be gotten for next to nothing and this one is no exception. If you're on a low budget and want something that you can gig with, I suggest that you give one of these a shot.

Crates are like Peaveys in that, they are built like tanks and have never broken down, in the years that I have used them. This one is no exception to the rule. I can see this one lasting a very long, long, time. It's solid as a rock and hasn't given me any problems whatsoever!

I'm not quite sure of the year of manufacture of this model. I think it was made possibly in the early 1990's, but it is American made and has a 12" Celestion V-12 with the Crate logo on it. It is a 80 watt combo which has a carpeted exterior which I think is pretty cool. It's a 2 channel solid state combo with both clean and gain and has a line in and line out jacks on the front panel. It weighs in at a very hefty 34 lbs and is quite loud.

Way Cool JR.
    The GX series Crates are some of the best sounding SS amps around(IMO). They have awesome cleans and a pretty damn good sounding distortion for an SS. B I had a GX140c Stereo 2x12 amp with reverb and chorus and I have a GX40C with DSP 2x8 stereo amp still. It doesn't work very good anymore so I had to retire it. . They were both US made in the early-mid 90's.
    scubatan
    Love the distortion, I'm able to get all the quacks out of my Tele, something I struggled to do with bandit. The shape dual is very useful.thank you Crate!