MX65R review by Crate

Crate: MX65R

I use a Strat (SSS) and Explorer (HH) with this amp. I play a little of everything, but mostly metal with it. It doesn't hum or buzz, but It does make some feedback on high volumes with the gain up. Another peeve about the amp is that something rattles in the back. It doesnt affect the tone and its only noticeable at mid volumes (3-5) but its a bit annoying. Probably just a loose screw, however. Great low end and high end response and huge harmonics. The clean tone is decent, pretty good for a solid amp. The gain is where it really shines. The low gain channel goes from just a touch of distortion all the way to a crunchy but warm tone suitible for 70's rock and punk. The Gain 2 button brings you into the world of metal, though. It seriously sounds better than most distortion pedals I've used. There's also a nifty shape knob to make up for the lack of a Mid on the EQ. Basically, turn it to the left to boost the mids and cut lows and highs. Turn it to the right to slash the mids and raise the lows and highs. Sounds great on most settings, and the booklet comes with instructions on how to get a starting idea of how to make the amp make the sound you want it to make.

I play metal, punk, shred, folk, blues, or whatever else through this amp and it works great for me. I also got it on sale, which is most of the reason I bought it. I'm totally satisfied with this amp and would recommend it to almost everyone. Exceptions: People who wouldnt use the distortion. If you want something for its clean tone, look at tube amps. Also, people who like effects shouldn't get this one unless they feel like getting pedals for all the stuff they want. Look at a GLX65 or GNX65 if you really want a Crate with effects. If I somehow lost the amp I would most likely buy its bigger cousin, the MX120R, because now that I'm in a band, I would have more use for the extra volume. I play it with a Dunlop Wah and, as I said before, an Explorer and a Strat. The only thing I wish it had is a tuner, because that's really the only other feature I would use. In closing, despite the 2 small faults I stated above, this amp rocks.

I've used it at gigs and it sounded great. Because it's only 65 watts I usually mic it up to whatever speakers they have and it sounds good that way too. Its taken plenty of bumps going up and down stairs to practices too. The amp is just all around solid and I've never had a problem with it aside from that rattling in the back, which, again, is something minor.

Made in 2002-2003 -12" speaker -3 channels (clean, drive, distortion) -3 band EQ on clean setting -2 band EQ on gain setting -Reverb -Comes with a free Gain/Gain/Reverb footswitch -Solid state -Speaker jack -Line in jack -Open back -Made in the USA -free 5 Year warranty I use this amp for everything and it works good. I'm not big on effects, though, so I probably wouldn't be the person to ask.

MetalDisease
    i have this amp, play metal, love the tone, but im looking for a stack version of this, which doesnt exist. anyone help me out by showing me something similar with a reasonable price??
    ledzeppwn
    i bought a crate mx120r same thing but bigger 120w might be wat ur looking for
    Rebelw/outaCord
    Crate made a few different series's of amps with the "Flextone" or "flexwave" or whatever preamp, and they all have very similar sounds. The only real differences are the effects that they include. I'm sure you can find one of the others in a half-stack version. If it helps, the MX120R is built like a tank and can be attached to an extension cab.
    jeffo46
    This is basically a version of the GX-65,that was sold only through Guitar Center or Musician's Friend.Either way,they're both great amps.I just picked up a 1997 GX-65 3 weeks ago,and it ****ing rocks!