Palomino V16 review by Crate

Crate: Palomino V16

I run a Danelectro 56 U2 Re-Issue with single coil lipstick pickups through a Boss DS-1, Dunlop GCB-95, EHX Little Big Muff, and a Zoom 2100 into this amp. Most of the time I'll leave everything except the Muff out, because I like the tone I get from this amp so much. This amp would suit any Classic Rock or Blues player perfectly, and at a good price. I've only ever had one problem with noise, but that was because I was using a bad power supply for my Zoom. It is more than capable of both classic and modern rock sounds, and at about 9 o'clock on the gain knob you can get a nice AC/DC'esque crunch. The EQ isn't as responsive as I'd like, but it works well, and like stated earlier, the amp is capable of getting up to older metal sounds distortion-wise.

The amp fits my playing styles perfectly. I've been playing for about a year and a half, but I'm very knowledgeable gear-wise. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't buy another one, but instead buy a higher end amp, because quite frankly, this isn't the amp that is going to end all amps. I had to decide between this an a Fender Blues Junior, and I'm really glad I ended up with this one. The only thing I wish it had is a second channel, but overall it is a great amp for the price.

I've had no problems with the reliability of it, and I can safely say that'd I could definitely use it for a gig without a backup. The only thing I've done to it was replace two of the preamp tubes with a couple of Vintage RCA 12AX7's I had around, and I have to say it greatly improved my tone.

This amp would have to be made in either late '06 or early '07 considering this is not a very old model. I play mostly jazz, blues, modern rock, classic rock, and a bit of older metal like Black Sabbath, and this amp can handle all of those except some of Sabbath's heavier stuff, but it'd be more than able to with an overdrive. There is only one channel, which is unfortunate because I could really benefit from separate clean and overdrive channels. The only other feature that I wish it had is an effects loop, but that's not much of a problem considering my pedal setup is pretty small. It's only 15 watts, but that is more than enough for what I do. I mostly play in the bedroom, but I will wander out to jam with my drummer friend and a couple of friends' bands. Overall it's a pretty straight forward amp to use.