RFX120 review by Crate

I play through this amp with a Squier Strat-copy. As I said earlier, it has an amazing tone, and it would be even thicker on a Les Paul. Great for classic rock, and '80s through now styles of metal. It is 120 watts (2x12in Crate Retrofex speakers). Its effects, especially the reverb and auto-wah, shine on the clean settings (I even managed to create a "cello" sound with the octave setting). The clean channel is surprisingly good at high volumes, and the distortion is more towards a milky, smooth sound.

This amp has improved my style in a great way. Considering the only amp I owned before this was a Fender Frontman 15G, this amp was heaven to me. I got a discount because this amp had a small scratch in the leather, so the price will usually range around $450 dollars I think. Also, the amp looks great: a definate retro look. I would buy it again, because it has the best solid-state distortion I have ever heard. If I could improve one thing, it would be the sound of the effects combined with the distortion, but other than that, it has met all my guitar playing needs.

This amp has handled everything I've thrown at it so far. My friend even plugged in his bass, and from my opinion it could work perfectly as a bass amp. The only thing that does concern me is that this amp's clean setting cut out twice to a much bassier, softer clean without notice. Nothing has broken, and Crate gives it a 5 year warranty on the electronic parts, and a 2 year warranty on the speakers.

The Crate RFX120 is a very new amp on the Crate line. So new, that Crate does not yet have details for this model on its official site yet. Anyways, down to business. I play progressive, neo-classical rock, and some hair metal on my amp, and the amp has no problem handling all of these styles. This amp would also be good as a solid-state alternative to most tube amps. It has 3 channels: 1 clean, 1 rhythm, and 1 solo (the solo acts mainly as a boost). The effects include phaser, flanger, many, many types of delay and echo, chorus, octave, and 2 types of auto-wah. It seems to me that the effects did not sound nearly as good while distortion was also on. But don't get me wrong, because this amp has the best solid-state distortion I have ever heard.