TD50C Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 11/05/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Crate: TD50C
 8.7
 8.3
 5,880
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
TD50C Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 05, 2010

Features: I know this amp was from the 1990's, not sure exactly when. It has two channels, one clean an one overdrive. It is advertised as a 50 watt amp, but it's split into the two Celestion 10" speakers, at 25w a piece. Also, it is advertised as a tube preamp, and ss post. It has a spring reverb, which is cool. // 7

Sound: I play through a hotrodded Yamaha RGZ621P-R most of the time, but also play a USA Fender Strat standard. I play alot of 70's and 80's rock, as well as blues. This amp has a great, clean sound. It has a good amount of low end, middle and highs. It can be a tad noisy however, with the chorus turned on, and turned up past halfway. I haven't turned the amp up past 7 on clean, thats plenty loud, so I dont know if it gets distorted or not. I use the overdrive channel sparingly, as its a bit too crunchy for me. I prefer to use a DigiTech Screamin' Blues pedal on the clean channel to get a more fuzzy sound. For death/metal players, it would be great, but thats not my thing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I bought this amp back in the late '90s, and it has been through hell. It is built like a tank, and looks as good as the day I got it. Sounds the same, too. I should probably replace the tube in it, they're like $15 on ebay, so maybe I'll do that soon. That would be the first bit of maintenance this has needed, besides a good wipedown here and there.. ;) // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I play older rock, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Rush, SRV etc.., so this is really a good fit. I wish it had a bit mre power, maybe 50w per speaker, and some tone controls on the overdrive channel. But for the $100 I paid for it some 12-13 years ago, it has served me well. // 8

Comments