TX15 review by Crate

Crate: TX15

Purchased from: Mackie

I was slightly disappointed the first time I turned it on because it was quite noisy. Seeing as I own the Crate XT120R and it doesn't give me static when I turn it on. The taxi has little to no distortion, although when you turn it up it gets a bit more distorted. It also doesn't help the distortion factor when I'm playing my Fender Squier with single coil pick-ups. If you're looking for a metal amp, or an amp with a variety: this is not your amp. However, if you're looking for an amp that you can take pretty much anywhere and is insanely convenient this is THE amp.

I play all types of rock and metal, and this amp would be better if it had distortion built in. I love thats it's so small, and portable, it also has a long battery life. But I hate that it's noisy and has such limited features. If it was lost or stolen I would try to get another one, just because it's so convenient! I compared this amp to the other Crate (XT120R) I own because they are made by the same company and given to me by the same warehouse. The amp itself isn't the best quality sound-wise, but it is perfect for what it's made to do. (Portability, and convenience)

I wouldn't use this in a gig because it's only 15-watts and battery powered, I'd much rather lug my 120-watt. Though, the taxi is extremely dependable. (I've dropped it before and it works great still) You just have to make sure it's fully charged. It has a metal cover on the front, which makes me a lot more comfortable when I'm carrying it because my other Crate has a cloth material on the front.

This is Crate's Taxi amp. It is the low end 15-watt model. It is completely battery powered and mine charges in the cigarette lighter in cars. It has a headphone jack(and CD input jacks), and two input channels (High and low). It's completely portable, so perfect for any band practice. This would be a great amp to just put in the trunk of your car for whenever. It's a basic amp, no effects. I wish it did so I wouldn't have to bring my FX pedal too.

J.J.G.
    It's completely portable, so perfect for any band practice.
    blackborrego
    seriously, what is this amp for? it sounds distorted with single coils, it doesnt do a good distortion, 15 watts and battery operation? seriously this amp should be burned.
    HATECREWofBODOM
    Well I got the amp for free, I was using a price estimator. and I love the amp itself it just doesnt have much distortion. But yeah I agree, not their best model
    jean_genie
    MetalMoses x wrote: I think I will stick to the Roland micro cube for a portable practice amp.
    Being battery powered can be a huge plus. It means you can play on any streetcorner. That's really what it's made for.
    therevenant2811
    eh i wouldnt personaly get this amp it would be a big waste of my money i need at least a halfway decent distortion.
    HATECREWofBODOM
    J.J.G. wrote: is it? you dont practice a lot do you? A 15 watt amp runing with batteries is far from perfect for band practice. in fact i belive it is useless, i would rather play unplugged and save a 9volt. I would like to hear you play along with your drummer and try to ear what you play at the same time.
    haha, good point. the Taxi was good when we didnt have a drummer. PLUS we lived in apartments so the noise HAD to be low. I used a large term there, I'm sorry I didnt correct myself!
    minime51
    I installed a 12 volt output from the battery on the face of this little guy and use it to power up a TC Helicon Harmony GTX vocal and effects pedal. It's a excellent combo which allows me to play for 20 or 25 people without issues. I've also played in campfire situations with my Harmony GTX into the XLR input and my drummer into the 2nd input and got hours of enjoyment from it. It's an awesome little amp if used for the right occasions.