TX15 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 10/30/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Crate: TX15
 4.3
 7.5
 3,197
review (1) pictures (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
TX15 Reviewed by: HATECREWofBODOM, on october 30, 2009

Purchased from: Mackie

Features: This is Crate's Taxi amp. It is the low end 15-watt model. It is completely battery powered and mine charges in the cigarette lighter in cars. It has a headphone jack(and CD input jacks), and two input channels (High and low). It's completely portable, so perfect for any band practice. This would be a great amp to just put in the trunk of your car for whenever. It's a basic amp, no effects. I wish it did so I wouldn't have to bring my FX pedal too. // 7

Sound: I was slightly disappointed the first time I turned it on because it was quite noisy. Seeing as I own the Crate XT120R and it doesn't give me static when I turn it on. The taxi has little to no distortion, although when you turn it up it gets a bit more distorted. It also doesn't help the distortion factor when I'm playing my Fender Squier with single coil pick-ups. If you're looking for a metal amp, or an amp with a variety: this is not your amp. However, if you're looking for an amp that you can take pretty much anywhere and is insanely convenient this is THE amp. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use this in a gig because it's only 15-watts and battery powered, I'd much rather lug my 120-watt. Though, the taxi is extremely dependable. (I've dropped it before and it works great still) You just have to make sure it's fully charged. It has a metal cover on the front, which makes me a lot more comfortable when I'm carrying it because my other Crate has a cloth material on the front. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all types of rock and metal, and this amp would be better if it had distortion built in. I love thats it's so small, and portable, it also has a long battery life. But I hate that it's noisy and has such limited features. If it was lost or stolen I would try to get another one, just because it's so convenient! I compared this amp to the other Crate (XT120R) I own because they are made by the same company and given to me by the same warehouse. The amp itself isn't the best quality sound-wise, but it is perfect for what it's made to do. (Portability, and convenience) // 7

More Crate reviews rating category latest review
+ BX15 5.5 Bass Amplifiers 06/17/2014