V18-212 review by Crate

Crate: V18-212

Purchased from: Woodwind and Brasswind

I know Crate amps have a bad reputation for quality but this amp sounds very nice. I play it using a ESP EC-1000 deluxe running through a Boss metalcore pedal for when I want to play some really heavy stuff. Also it adds the extra channel so I can Switch from clean to distorted. The cleans on this are very nice, after all it is a tube amp, it should have good tone. the distortion is very good but only up to the point of hard rock, maybe some types of metal. if you want brutalness you should add a pedal. the reverb on this amp is nothing to die for, I only use it in a handfull of playing types, I like how it sounds while doing sweep picking.

I play many things on this amp from soft and mellow to down right brutal and it all sounds good(very heavy stuff is with a pedal). this amp also plays very nice at lower volumes which is nice because I mostly play it in my bedroom but can still be played with a gig. nice amp to have for jamming with some friends. this is definately something I would replace although I might go for the single speaker because 2 is very loud. other tube amps may be better than this but this amp has a nice price tag, nice value. my friend couldnt believe I got it for under 500.

The is durable, the one little problem I have with it is that is a fairly heavy and amp and they only have the one handle at the top. makes moving it somewhere somewhat awkward, especially going down or up a flight of stairs. I've bumped it around a few times, hit it into walls. it's going to take a lot more than that to do anything to this amp. There is a youtube video of a guy chucking a Crate V series tube amp over his shoulder and the amp still plays after. If that's not durable I'm not sure what is.

This amp is pretty basic when it comes to features. It is a class A tube amp with two tubes. It just has the one channel with a gain control, volume, tone, and a re verb control. This amp is 18 watts but it is very loud. I expected it to be loud from what I heard but did not think 18 watts could have so much volume.

smolincher
    hay man, I saw this amp at the local shop....Price is good...Just wondering if this would be loud enough for jamming? or would the V33 be better...and, is the V33 stocked with 2 12" speakers?
    archeolus
    is it loud enough to gig with? roughly how many watts in solid state amps terms
    Rogue Hermit
    the only problem i see is the single channel. if i wanted to buy another amp, i'd go for something a little higher end than crate. but decent review.
    Zenith Lead
    ^ yes it does. The review says its a classic tube and he still got it for 355. I thought tubes were some expensive shit? i havent gotten too into amps so i dont really know these things. I should though..... i'll have to work on that....
    High_o
    some guy chucked his amp over his shoulder to test whether it would still work? sounds a bit silly. although, this is the interwebs, where people think lol wut its hilarious
    Tyler Durden
    I saw that video as I am considering the 33W version, it actually sounded better after the guy tossed it and plugged it back in!