V5 review by Crate

Crate: V5

I am using a stock Squier Jagmaster though a Boss DS-1 and SD-1. I use the SD-1 to boost it because it is pretty loud in a small bedroom so I can't crank it to get overdrive from it, even though it distorts quite early about 12 o clock on the volume control. It is very noisy for me however I think that is the tubes as I havn't replaced them yet. It has a fairly good sound for a $100 amp.

This is a good match for me because it isn't really loud, its a tube amp, and it was cheap. I have been playing for 2 1/2 years and my other gear is listed in the sound section. I bought this because the GC where I got it sold the Fender Champ 600 I was going to buy and I sold my old amp already. If it was stolen I would probably try to buy a better amp or build my own.

This amp seems to be very reliable. Its tubes are on the very inside which can make changing them a pain but it prevents them from being broken. It takes a few minutes to warm up so you can play just like every tube amp but that doesn't really bother me. I don't abuse it and it hardly is moved.

This is a very basic amp. It is one channel 5 watt tube amp. It has a volume control and a tone control that its brightest spot is at 12 o colock and it gets bassier if you turn it to 10 or 1. It has a 10" speaker. I use it only in my bedroom but after I upgrade it I will use it at small gigs. I am rating it at 8 taking into consideration other amps in its catagory such as Epiphone valve jr, and Fender Champ 600.

championguitar
    enselmis wrote: Stick to cornford if you actually want a great little amp.
    yeah they are super rare here in the states and even if you can find one most people in my experience are buying a small tube amp because they can't afford much more