V50-112 review by Crate

Crate: V50-112

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Axe Music

My main rig: Epiphone Les Paul Standard with Seymour Duncan P/U's (Jazz in neck, Screamin Demon in Bridge), to my Cry Baby from Hell, Boss DS2, Marshall JH1, DigiTech Deathmetal, Ibanez LU20 Floor Tuner, then into the V50. I play everything (thus 3 distortion pedals) from Zeppelin, Tragically Hip, up to Killswitch Engage, Dimmu Borgir. No matter what I play, I can dial in my tone for any genre. This amp sounds stunning on clean, and loves my pedals. The gain chanel on the amp itself I really don't use, but it has a nice crunchy tone. I jam in my appt (volume at 1 tops) and with my drummer (volume 5-6) and sounds great all the way through. Not noisy at all, with or without my pedals. For what I paid, it was a steal. The clean chanel is in line with Fender, honestly. The Presence is just an on/off so you can't manually contour it (I honestly don't even use it) same with the mid-rage boost, it's on/off (and again I don't use it) The reverb is out of control, I can't go over 3/10 otherwise it's just too much, but on 1-2 it's really nice. Overall, I am very pleased with the sound, but cannot give anything a 10.

Iv been playing over 3 years now, self taught hobbiest guitar player basically. I play a lot of covers and am working on my own material. This is my first tube amp and I absolutely love it! I was looking at a number of tube amps (Vox, Fender, Peavy) and for the price this one kills the others. It was very cost efficient for my use, and sounds amazing overall. I used to jam on a Fender Deluxe 50 watt tube with 1 x 12" and my Crate sounds better - honestly. If it broke I would fix it, if someone stole it I would buy a new one without second guessing. If you are looking for a good tube combo at a competitive price, go test one out - you wont be disapointed!

I don't gig yet, but I haul it back and forth from jamming to home and it's in perfect shape. it's heavy but all tube combos are, this one weighs in around 50 lbs. it's less then 6 months old but I haven't had any issues yet. I would gig with this, either stand alone or mic'd to a PA and it would sound great either way for sure. You could easily play a small venue with no PA.

The new V50-112 two-channel combo loudly announces the new generation of Crate's all-tube amplifiers. With dual 6L6 fixed biased output tubes, this bad refrigerator produces the sort of sparkling cleans and warm, thick overdrive that can only come from tubes pushed to their limit. It pumps 50 watts through a single 12" speaker, creating a muscular low end perfect for club gigs and recording sessions. Presence control, spring reverb and foot-switchable boost make sure you can dial in your custom tone from anywhere. Lesser amps will blow their fuses in fear when they see you plugging into a V50-112. - 50 watts RMS - class AB, all tube circuitry - 1 x 12" speaker - two channels - 2 x 6L6 output tubes, fixed bias - spring reverb - footswitchable boost function