V50-112 review by Crate

Crate: V50-112

Purchased from: Motor City Guitar

Well my style ranges from classic rock to modern rock to blues, and this amps does it all very well (as far as the cleans for rock goes). The dirty channel is good for blues. I wanted a clean tone similar to Slash, lots of bass, good mid and treble, and lots of reverb, a good deep english type of clean with lots of presents, and that deep tube tone, and that's exactly what this amp is. Even the dirty channel is more of a bluesly dirty clean channel. It would also suit country music very well. If you used some good pedals you could get a good distortion out of it, if it was to be you primary amp. I've played on fenders, bad cats, and Dr. Z's and this has the tone I've been looking for 1/8 the price!

Well for the last two years I've been trying to decide on a clean amp to complete my rig. Everything that has the sound I'm looking for is at least $1000, except the Crate! It has the perfect tone for my cleans; a deep english clean with good reverb! It could also do twang, and dirty and blues very well too! If this tone is what your after, or you want a good tube amp, and have some pedals to go with it for your main amp I highly recommend this badboy! For the money nothing comes close!

It seems to be built pretty well for the price. I just got it so I can't really say how well it'll hold up, but I take good care of my stuff and I expect this amp to be my clean amp for a long time to come. It doesn't look quite as good as a Dr.Z but, it doesn't cost nearly as much. For what Crate has put together I would expect to pay at least $900 for the quality!

My wife bought me this amp for my birthday. I needed a class A amp for my clean tones. it's a Brand New amp 2008. it's got two channels, one is more of a bright clean, and the other is a dirty type of clean. It uses 4 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 6L6 power tubes making 50 watts of clean power. it's got treble, mid and bass controls, as well as one volume for each channel and a gain for the dirty channel. It has REAL spring reverb that sounds fantastic! I play mostly modern and classic rock, and I primarily use a Mesa Triple Recto, but I wanted a good clean amp for recording and shows, and just playing at home. I use a Gibson Les Paul Gothic, a Vox wah, and a AB/Y switcher to Switch from the Mesa (set on modern distortion or Vintage) to the Crate V50. This amp has all the features and sound that the high priced clean amps (bad cat, DR.Z, Fender)have.

Tyler Durden
    I just wanted to update my review: I have recently bought a few new pedals - a Carl Martin Classic Chorus and an EHX #1 Echo.....both these sound great with this amp. Only problem I encountered was the effects loop. For some reason when I have my Chorus in the loop, I can hear a cycling sound when not playing, but if I put it in front of the amp after my wah, dist, od pedals, it sounds great. So - the effects loop is a little shotty, and otherwise useless to me - but I still love this amp!!!!
    Wrynn.CZ
    Tyler Durden wrote: For some reason when I have my Chorus in the loop, I can hear a cycling sound when not playing,...
    I have same problem with my EH Clone theory, its just chorus pedal general issue i guess