VC2010 review by Crate

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Crate: VC2010

Purchased from: Used

I primarily use the bridge humbucker position of a couple guitars for classic rock. It does that very well. It has enough gain to get into early metal territory without a problem, as well as early VH. The "punch" button is very usable and gives you a boost in the mids, some say it adds 5 watts I'm not too sure about that. But it's very useful and gives it that british mid heavy Drive. I don't get much noise through the amp even with the gain dimed. This amp has less cap noise than the Classic 30. (Not a fan of the C30 because of that). It's a british voiced amp that is basically a tube Marshall tone on a budget. These amps are very underrated.

As said I play hard rock with this amp and it does that very well. I have a Studio-15 that it can hold it's own against. It has more gain than the studio does. If stolen I would not replace it because I have too many amps at present. If this was my only amp, yes I would replace it with the same model if possible. I've played and owned all kinds of amps. For someone looking for a "plexi" tone on a budget, this and some good fingers will get you there. I also love the blonde tolex and oxblood grill, it's a great looking amp. I chose this amp because of the price and tone. The tone is worth three times what these amps sell for. Overall for what it is, a Marshall esque voiced amp on a budget, I'm giving it an 8.

My amp had the original tubes when I got it, some 15-20 yrs old. I swapped the power tubes out for JJ el84's and it only improved slightly. The original tubes were sovteks. I also swapped out the stock speaker for a WGS 10" Veteran, a Vintage 30 clone without the mid spike V30's are known for. Now that the speaker is broken in, it sounds just like the original I put in it. Oh well, usually budget tube amps like this appreciate a speaker swap. Crate must have gotten that part right, at least on this amp. I have had no issues with this amp, sounds great and never has given me a problem.

This is an early 90's amp manufactured in St Louis Mo. It's a single channel tube guitar amplifier. Gain/Treble/Mid/Bass/Volume dials. It has a headphone jack and external speaker jack, 16 ohms. This one does not have reverb, but they did make a version with it. No effects loop. I use this amp at home and jamming with friends. It has enough power to keep up with a drummer providing he isn't on roids. It does not have much clean headroom, if any at all. But that's a matter of taste.