VC2010 Review

manufacturer: Crate date: 07/07/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Crate: VC2010
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
VC2010 Reviewed by: gregs1020, on july 07, 2009

Purchased from: Used

Features: This is an early 90's amp manufactured in St Louis Mo. It's a single channel tube guitar amplifier. Gain/Treble/Mid/Bass/Volume dials. It has a headphone jack and external speaker jack, 16 ohms. This one does not have reverb, but they did make a version with it. No effects loop. I use this amp at home and jamming with friends. It has enough power to keep up with a drummer providing he isn't on roids. It does not have much clean headroom, if any at all. But that's a matter of taste. // 7

Sound: I primarily use the bridge humbucker position of a couple guitars for classic rock. It does that very well. It has enough gain to get into early metal territory without a problem, as well as early VH. The "punch" button is very usable and gives you a boost in the mids, some say it adds 5 watts I'm not too sure about that. But it's very useful and gives it that british mid heavy Drive. I don't get much noise through the amp even with the gain dimed. This amp has less cap noise than the Classic 30. (Not a fan of the C30 because of that). It's a british voiced amp that is basically a tube Marshall tone on a budget. These amps are very underrated. // 9

Reliability & Durability: My amp had the original tubes when I got it, some 15-20 yrs old. I swapped the power tubes out for JJ el84's and it only improved slightly. The original tubes were sovteks. I also swapped out the stock speaker for a WGS 10" Veteran, a Vintage 30 clone without the mid spike V30's are known for. Now that the speaker is broken in, it sounds just like the original I put in it. Oh well, usually budget tube amps like this appreciate a speaker swap. Crate must have gotten that part right, at least on this amp. I have had no issues with this amp, sounds great and never has given me a problem. // 9

Overall Impression: As said I play hard rock with this amp and it does that very well. I have a Studio-15 that it can hold it's own against. It has more gain than the studio does. If stolen I would not replace it because I have too many amps at present. If this was my only amp, yes I would replace it with the same model if possible. I've played and owned all kinds of amps. For someone looking for a "plexi" tone on a budget, this and some good fingers will get you there. I also love the blonde tolex and oxblood grill, it's a great looking amp. I chose this amp because of the price and tone. The tone is worth three times what these amps sell for. Overall for what it is, a Marshall esque voiced amp on a budget, I'm giving it an 8. // 8

Comments