VFX5212 review by Crate

Crate: VFX5212

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I'm using a Schecter C-1 classic and the sound suits my needs pretty well. I play blues and I really like the sound you can get out of it for that. It does get kinda noisy if you have the gain cranked and the volume past 5 but it's not horrible. Like I said, the distortion isnt that great for anything above a light rock. My amplifier does have tone tubby speakers though, not the kind that usually comes with this amp.

I usually dislike Crate amps, they have always been my least favorite brand of amplifiers. My local music store only sold Crate amplifiers and every now and then I would go in just to jam on new guitars. I plugged into the vfx and fell in love with and knew that the 650 dollars I paid was worth it. If I lost this amplifier I would purchase a Mesa Boogie if I had extra money. If you can get this amp for less than 700 dollars it is definately worth it.

I think this amplifier is pretty durable except for a few points. I think that the cage that the put around the tubes in this amp is poorly manufactured because there too close and it rattles a little bit. Also I did blow a fuse on this amp once when I was playing it with the volume around 6.

I have no idea what year the amp was made, versatility wise it's not that great. I use it for blues primarily but you can't get that much distortion out of it. If you want to play metal, hardcore, or any time of very distorted music don't get this amp. The amp has two channels one clean and one distorted and does have an effect loop in it but no headphone jack. I've used this amplifier in quite a few places such as a show for our cities fourth and july (outside) and a county fair and it was load enough. 50 watts of tube gets plenty loud

Homestar1m
    I bought this amp used, and it plays extremely well. It has a very large variety of sounds you can get out of it, and it really has a nice tube amp sound, without a large tube amp price. Definitely worth every penny.