VTX212B review by Crate

Crate: VTX212B

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

I use this amp with my MIM Fender Stratocaster. The clean channel is fantastic. The solo channel can dish some serious gained distortion, and the rhythm channel is tricky to get a good "not too distorted" crunchiness, but after playing around with it, I got some nice sound. Bottom line, with so much going on, to get the sound you want, you gotta play with it, but once you get the hang of it, the sound is damned good. I'm rating this "6" in comparison with some high end amps from the likes of Fender or Marshall that just sound amazing with much less effort.

I know Crates get bashed, but owning this amp, I can't tell why. Sure, it has so much stuff going on that it might take some time to get the tone and sound you want, but it's there if you play around with it. And bottom line, for the money, it's awesome! "8" might seem high for an amp of this price, but I'm basing it on value of the amp versus the price paid.

I haven't owned this amp long enough or beaten it up enough to give an educated opinion. I give it a "5" meaning "untested".

I play rock/blues/jam and this amp seems to be able to handle anything I want. It has 3 channels (clean/rhythm/solo), three button footswitch, no headphone jack, DSP effects that include flanger, phaser, chorus, reverb, vibrato, octave, auto-wah, reverse wah, and delay. Two bank memory save on effects and settings. Two 12" speakers. Size and Weight: 21" H x 27-1/2" W x 11 1/4" D 50 lbs. 120W. Built in tuner.

captain_jack
    AlexAvarice
    captain_jack wrote: I have this amp!! I think Crates get a bad wrap because their lower end amps sound like ass. The VTX series are actually quite good, especially for being solid state. I've had mine for a little over a year. I've hauled it to many dozens of band practices, gigged it several times, and recorded with it. It has held up fine and worked great for everything I need it for.
    I agree. I have played on quite a few Crates that would bury the Marshall MG series amps, yet no one gives Marshall for coming out with a cheap amp. Crate doesn't deserve a bad rep.
    Underjoggle
    Anything would bury an MG. A literal can of angry bees would bury an MG.
    rzemon
    Underjoggle wrote: AlexAvarice wrote: I agree. I have played on quite a few Crates that would bury the Marshall MG series ampsAnything would bury an MG. A literal can of angry bees would bury an MG.
    true, true...
    rocnroll4evr93
    ive got a crate and i love it. its very similar to this one. i agree with what he said about it being tricky to dial in the sound, but as unexperianced as i was, i figured it out in about 2 days. if u know what you're doing, it's not hard at all.
    filthylittleboy
    FLEX WAVES SUCK!!!! sorry, but i just got home from the music store, and i wanted a high gain amp... and i tried it, and almost dropped the ibanez because it sounded so bad... im not even trying to be a hater...
    sugapablo
    I think some people will always have a bug up their butt about Crates, based on their past products that may have been less than stellar, but if you look around the internet at reviews for this model, you'll see that people who bought and/or played with this amp are absolutely loving it.