VTX212B review by Crate

Crate: VTX212B

Price paid: € 129

Purchased from: Pro Musica Ireland

I use this guitar with many different types of guitars (Strats, Telecaster, Melody Maker, Les Paul), and overall it delivers the sounds I want. I play everything under the sun, though as a gigging artist I rely on this for pop-punk, punk, rock, and accoustic guitar sounds. It does nearly everything perfectly. The clean channel is by far the best part of this amp, although the mid-gain crunch is very sonicaly enjoyable.

I play everything. This amp shines at metal, punk, classic rock, and anything clean (yup, that's alot of things). I've been playing 4 and a half years, to the point where I outplay many more experienced guitarists. If this amp was stolen, I'll be honest and say that I'd replace it with a Fender Blues Junior 2x12, but that being said, this amp has made me happy since the day I bought it, 6 months ago. I don't hate much about it to be honest, and I find the built in tuner handy for on the fly tuning mid-gig. This is probably one of the best solid state amps that you can play, in my opinion at least.

This amp was sold to me slightly damaged, that's why I recieved it for so cheap (even though I am the first owner). Because of this, channel switching could only be done using the footswitch. Apart from this, this amp has never let me down, and with my past experience with crate, I reckon it won't let me down any time soon. One thing to take note of is that this amp weighs a tonne (I say this as a strong person who goes to the gym very regulary).

I'm not sure when this amplifier was made if I'm honest. This is a very versitile amplifier, 120 watts, 2x12 Crate designed speakers. It has many effects, although not all are usuable in my opinion. I wish it had a looper, though to be honest that would be asking much of an amp, as you expect that as a pedal really. I use this amp at home, at practise, and gigging, it's more then loud enough for any occasion, and is not dull sounding at all at lower volumes.

Hunter2081
    I would just like to mention that I have since changed my mind since I have reviewed this amplifier. Avoid it like the plague, it's muddy and indistinct. Save up for a good blackstar/marshal/fender/vox etc, you'll thank me later. This amp is probably aimed at intermediate players anyways as the power is insane for a beginner, so you owe it to yourself to invest in a good tube amp, you are really unlikely to achieve your tone from this amp.
    shreddybear
    I have this amp modded into a 120W head with the flexwave 412A cab--not a bad cab either actually(solid, has lasted a good 5 years so far, and sounds as good--to me--as some more expensive brands). The VTX has an amazing clean channel. The other two channels are great too, but I've been using a Blackstar HT DistX and Metal pedal with it to get a warmer and chunkier/wet distortion out of it--alternative metalish sounds. Not saying you can't get a good tone out of this for heavy music, just my tonal preference!! I think the reverb/delay are great on this thing. Very good digital reverb. I love the clean so much. The crunch channel is very nice as well as the lead channel for well, lead--and moderate to heavy rhythm depending on your preference! Back to the cleans, it sparkles--can sparkle if you want it to. It stays very clean and even emulates a bit of break-up when turned up. I love the super clear sounding cleans on this thing so much. Awesome amp. If you can pick one up, I don't think you'll be disappointed--especially for the price!