XT120R review by Crate

Crate: XT120R

I'm only using my crappy Squier Strat on this amp, but the tone on the clean channel definitely sounds better than some other amps I played on at guitar center. The rhythm channel I honestly don't use that much, just because I mostly play metal and the distortion isn't that great. But the solo channel is a different story. You can shape the distortion towards midrange frequencies or towards the traditional amped up low and high frequencies as is used in metal pretty often. I am so happy with the distortion on the amp that I stopped using my Boss Metal Zone altogether, which I used to think had brutal distortion. The hum and stuff on the amp is also very quiet even on the solo channel.

This amp is perfect for metal and hard rock, but the clean channel sounds good enough to use it for pretty much any style of music. The best part of this amp is probably the distortion, I was very pleased with it. I had a Behringer V-Tone amp the exact same size with a lot more features but in comparison none of the channels on that amp sounded nearly as good as my Crate. Plus the excess noise on this Crate is as low as you could ask for. I would buy this amp again if it were stolen or lost, because for the price you can't ask for much more. Well, except for more effects, but that's nothing a couple pedals can't take care of. This is a great amp altogether, and its got enough power to play gigs or just practice, whatever youre into. Either way, it sounds great and I love it.

I would use this at a gig without a backup. It's very reliable, and the footswitch is solid too. I don't think this amp is going to start falling apart anytime soon.

This amp has quite a few features but as far as the effects go, there could be a couple more. The three channels all sound great and you can switch between all three pretty easily with the footswitch. The reverb sounds great too, but thats the only effect that comes with the amp. The power in this amp is pretty crazy on the solo and rhythm channels, usually I keep them at volume three so they dont blow the house down. The clean channel is pretty quiet compared to the other two however. The only thing that really bothered me was the one plug for both send and return for any external effects you might have. That means you have to buy a y-splitter, not that much extra money, just a pain to mess around with.

IPLAYBASS
    I own this amp and have to give it credit in the workhorse department. I use and abuse mine even though I hate the tone I get out of it, but I use an eq pedal to fix that. I wouldnt buy this amp again though. My ear for tone has changed giganticly since I bought this.