XT120R review by Crate

Crate: XT120R

Purchased from: guitar center

My guitar is a Schecter C-1 Blackjack that has a Seymour Duncan Jb in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. This amp can get a good heavey sound that is good for metal but it is not ideal. The amps sound is actaully pretty good but once you turn it up pretty loud the clarity of the sound starts to decline some. The clean is not great but it will suffice for whatever you want to do. Like I said, this amp can work for almost any type of music which makes it good for a beginner guitarist. I know someone Who owns this amp and playes alternative music and it is good for that too. I the distortion is good, but, as I have said before, not ideal.

I have been playing for a couple of years now. I am not super experienced in equipment or anything, but I do know enought that if you need a loud amp, this one isn't a bad deal. If it were stolen or lost, I honestly wouldn't buy another one only because I am more concerned about my tone now and I am going to get a 5150. One thing I wish I would have done would to have shopped around more, not because this is a bad amp, but I might have found an amp that was better that was more expensive.

One thing that this amp is awesome at is that it is durable. I've had mine for over a year and it has never not worked. I am pretty rough on my equipment and me and my friends have beaten it up a good amount. it has some cosmetic damage to it, but nothing I have done has influenced the sound of it. One thing that I was disappointed with is the footpedal. The construction of it was not very great. The nuts on the outputs of the channels are plastic and one of them always comes loose.

I got a little lucky on this one. I went to guitar center looking for an amp that would be good enough to gig with but wouldn't be too expensive. Well I found this amp for $340. I played it for a little while and decided it was good for me at the time. It give you sounds from metal to rock to whatever. It's one of those amps that's good for all styles but it's not ideal for any style. Well I was gonna pay the $340 for it but I go up the register and the guy rings it in and he gets this look on his face. After a few minutes he calls over his manager. Turns out he rang me up for the employee price. they couldnt get it off there and I payed $270 instead. Anyhow, one thing that I do wish this amp had was a few effects. The only thing it has is reverb, which I am not a big fan of, and I keep that up just enough to keep the sound from being too empty. I play mostly metal which this amp is good at, but now I'm saving up for a 5150. It's got 3 channels: solo, rythm, and clean. The solo is has a higher sound which is good for lead and such. My favorite is the rythm cause it has a stronger, deeper sound that is better for metal. It has a pedal that switches between the three channels. This amp has 120 watts of solid state power so it can get pretty loud. Loud enough for most gigs. Comes with 2x12" speakers so has good sound.

blind_melon1995
    mine gets an awful hum at any volume on any channel thru any guitar with or without effects. i like the tone on low volumes
    mbuu007
    this amp is amasing it has such a good solo tone and just loud its really nice and loud i got mine for 250 from guitar center so dont bad mouth this great amp
    hokiecmo
    I bought this amp with Christmas money and it sounds great! Love the solo channel, but the clean left something to be desired for me.
    tsk84eva
    this is a cool amp. heavy as crap but it has a good tone. solo channel can get pretty heavy too