XT120R review by Crate

Crate: XT120R

Purchased from: guitar center

A Gibson SG Faded w/ stock pick-ups, this does suit a shreder's dreams (though I want to buy a Jackson JS30WR Warrior just for something easier to shred on). If you don't have a noise gate, then you're screwed, because when you turn it up on the Solo channel and you don't you could hear a kind of fan like sound, but it's something I got used to (eventually using my DigiTech RP80 as a pedal which has a noise gate). This amp has a knob called "Shape" which can make the Solo channel sound from recitified to a hot rod. This Dist is as brutal as it gets!

I play anything from: Necrophagist, to Muse, to Opeth, this amp is incredible when it comes with metal sounds, and the clean sounds. I've been playing for about 4 years now and I also have a Fender Princeton 65, a DigiTech GNX4, Gibson SG faded, and a DigiTech RP80. This amp is all I asked for and a little more: a dependable, versitale, and great sounding piece of musical equiptment. I was about to buy the Marshall MG250DFX, and I played that at guitar center, and I am so glad I got this instead.

I think anyone can depend on this amp for a gig, or even a big show; but I personally always bring back-ups to gigs. This amp has never broken down (through the two year that I've had it, with 2 gigs, hundreds of band practices, and countless hours of home practice).

This amp was, I think made 2003, and it's been discontinued. This amp is awesome for metal, has a lot of muddy sounding crunch, it also has a nice low-ending sound to it (well since it's a stereo amp, 2 speakers). The clean is magnificent, the spring reverb also adds a nice touch to the overall sound of it. It has three channels: solo, rhythm, and clean. The solo is what I usually play on (this is the crunchy sound), rhythm is a kind of low gain sounding channel that I use in a blusey way, and the clean is, well ya the clean channel, it's very nice sounding. It also comes with a footswitch chanel switcher. I use this amp as a practice amp once in a while, but I usually use my Fender Princton for practie, I usually use this amp for shows, band practice, etc.