XT120R review by Crate

Crate: XT120R

Purchased from: MusiciansFriend.com

I'm using a variety of guitars with this amp, but all of them have either EMG 81's or HZ's. The Solo channel sounds great for what I play which is mostly thrash metal. The Rhythem channel on the otherhand just seems to have puney distortion in contrast to the solo channel. I only use the rhythem channel when I want more of a "classic rock" sound. The clean sounds great in fact it's the one thing I love on this amp it doesn't get distorted when you turn it up. The reverb also sounds awesome. This amp is VERY noisy once you get up to volume 4 or 5. You don't need to turn it up that high for it to get loud thogh. It makes a very high pitched squeal unless you stand at least 15 feet away at higher volumes.

I wish I had gotten the Crate RFX 120R instead because of the built in effects. The solo channel sounds good for metal but I like the distortion on my friends Line 6 spider 2 WAY better. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't get it again I'd probably save up for a Krankenstein or at least something with tubes.

This amp IS reliable. I've thrown it around and gigged it without a back up and I've never had any problems with it in two years of regular abuse. The exterior finish is durable and stays clean. I've left this amp in my car in Chicago winter and it's just fine.

This amp was made in '05, it's got 3 channels and no effects except for the spring reverb. I never seem to use the rhythem channel though it just doesn't sound that good. I use this both as my practice amp and for shows, it has enough power for shows with 120W and two 12" speakers. It has an insert jack, Audio inputs for a CD player or IPOD and it came with a footswitch for all the channels and the reverb.

arowana1027
    First off, this amp IS NOT stereo. Second off, the speakers that come in it SUCK! I replaced mine with Eminence Texas Heat's, and the tone quality went up 100%. This is otherwise, a solid amp with fairly good sound at lower levels, say around 4-5,(which is pretty loud), add a Boss GT-8 into the mix and you have a wide tonal range sure to make anyone happy. The clean channel is pretty d*** good sounding, and the solo channel rocks too. For AC/DC'ish sounds go with the rythm channel. The reverb is pretty good too. If you take the time to dial this amp in, it can sound really good, even with the crappy stock speakers. At higher volumes, the stock speakers start to break up a lot.
    rocktag
    dude its a good amp. everybody keeps complaining about not effects but i think theres the same version of this amp with effects. its red hah