XT120R review by Crate

Crate: XT120R

Since I heard my first Crate I knew I had to get one. I play with a Jackson with EMG's so high gain is a must for me, but even with the gain turned down this thing sounds amazing. I don't really get to use the second channel but it had a decent tone before it stopped working. I liked it for the most part. But if you're a metal player like me the third channel is where you're gonna call home. I like the tone from the clean side of things. If you add a little reverb to any of these channels you wont be let down. As far as flexablity goes the sky is the limit with this amp. Although I noticed that at the higher volumes things can break up a bit. If you're standing next to the amp or next to any electrical appliance you will get some noise but as far as hissing and RFI(Radio Frequency Interferance), I haven't had any. The brutality of this amp is as brutal as a solid state can get.

I played the older version of this one before getting it and both of em are both good amps. I didn't even pay for this one I traded mine for it.(My friend had this one and I hooked it up to my cab and I got stuck with this one cause it stopped working without the cab so we traded) It was great a great trade though. His was a little louder, the second channel worked but there wasn't a mid frequency know, well it had one but it wasn't a traditional mid knob. It was labled as shape and controlled both distortion channels. He likes to play on the second channel, and I liked to play on the third channel(mine is stuck on it) and mine has the mid and the shape knob. So I was very pleased with the trade. I play mostly metal stuff so the third channel is where I mainly stay, and I can't get enough of it. I've been playing for about six years now, and play my Jackson with this amp NOFX. If I had bought this amp I would have got the warranty with it. But it still works fine so I can't complain. If there was a separate EQ section for the the high gain channel it would really be a steal for it's price. But I guess that's why It's only $280. If I got this one fixed and working on it's own. I wouldn't tell my friend I love this amp. It's mine forever now. I love this amp and wouldn't give anyone a chance to steal it much less let it get lost. I don't like that the thing won't play without a cab, but hey that's why I now own it. Comparing this one to my old one It's a tough call but I say this one has got it beat but not by much.

I have had this amp for a few years now, and I can't be happier even with the little bumps and bruises it has both vanity and tech. The thing has yet to fail me. I kept it a garage that would flood constantly, In a closet, In a cold garage, In a Jam Room, In a closet, I even had to pawn it to pay of tickets. I got it back and it still worked fine. That's not even mentioning the shows and flights of stairs it's traveled to. I'm not rich so I can't afford a backup amp, but as far as I'm concerned as long as I got this one, I won't need one.

This amp was made for any situation you put it in. I have it in my room as my practice amp. I have played it at shows with and without PA's. it's got the power to handle anything you throw at it. I wouldn't suggest you throw things at it literally though. I think the amp is mono. I love the RCA inputs it's got on the front. I wish that I could play my guitar with distortion without The Music getting distorted though. I guess that's why it's mono and not stereo. The 1st channel has got crisp and clean tone. Good for ska. Also good for ska is the second channel. I really don't use the second channel though, because it's no longer available to me for some odd reason. I really love the third channel so it makes up for the loss of the second. The third channel is why I looked at Crate for my first amp. The tone I get out of it pleases me about almost every time I go to plug in. The reverb is a real plus. I love having the extention cab but for some reason after I plugged it in. It wont play with out the cab. I think this amp was made in 2004 which makes it 4 years old now.

Thugjitsu
    Skid61490 wrote: Man I've only ever used a Kustom and a Fneder Frontman 15 R they both got the job done as far as effects I got a POD made by line 6. ITs got everything i need so some tips for all you who spend 500 buck on brznd new amps that have effects and all jus spend 200 on a POD or if oyu wanna go real big 500-310 for a pedal board
    My personal opinion is don't get the effects at all. Get a new amp that suits your needs. Of course you want the effects still. But in all my encounters with on board effects they were draining all the tone outta the amp. If you want a great sounding effect, buy the effect in the pedal in itself. Thats just my opinion though
    HATECREWofBODOM
    I own this amp, I've had it for 3 years and I've taken it to countless band practices and it's held nicely. It's beautifully put together worth it's money, although it was an x-mas present. I love it
    xhairs1970
    I just bought mine this summer for $100 bucks from a local guy and it still had the factory protective sticker on it..it was like brand new. This amp flat out ROCKS. I took it to a friends (rural) studio recently and cranked it up to see how it sounded outside of my home environment it sounds clean and clear no matter how high we cranked the volume and up until then I had no clue that 120 watts could ever be that freaking loud...ad it IS loud. The reverb function seems to sound the best when using it on the clear channel while playing acoustically. The main channel has enough distortion to play about anything I am into and the solo channel will give you more drive and crunch then needed. This is a great sounding amp, period.