DH-1 Hodad Mini Amp review by Danelectro

Danelectro: DH-1 Hodad Mini Amp

My guitar (Ibanez ART120) is perfect with this little busking device. It's also great with headphones and what I recommend people do (if you don't own a recording studio OR have any recording devices) is to plug a cable into your line-in input on your pc's to record (you know the double ended thingy. It does get a little noisey when the gain is high (maybe because my active pick-ups in my guitar? ) but that doesn't happen with my practise amp!

The clean channel is a beaut and works really well with the tremelo (which the speed can be changed with a screw driver on the back - as recommended in the manuel). One issue with the echoe... It seems more like a reverb to be honest but still, a nice sound.

It's a great little thing if you're travelling much and great for a small Jam... Or even if you're bored and your parents are tellng you to be quiet as the headphone socket is universal!. If it was stolen, I'd most probs not bother (as it was free with a 12 subscription) so you can't really go wrong. I'd like to compare it with other mini-amps such as the Marshall's and the Vox's.

At the moment, I do love it and I can even Jam at work with it with my headphones in.

I've dropped it once (well it fell off my bed) and it seemed to do no damage at all. I wouldn't recommend dropping it on a hard surface as it seems really delicate too (as for the size of the machine).

If you are a US resident then all new models come with a 12 month warranty that is recommended to be sent off within 10 days of purchasing it. (Shame it doesn't cover the UK.

Standard Headphone Jack + Guitar Input, Gain, Tone and Vol Knobs, 2 Speakers, Tremelo + Echo. Takes a 9V battery OR a 9V plug thingy!

Seems to be very versatile (well with headphones in, the sound is emmence and has tempted me to plug in into my line-in socket on my pc from the headphone socket). I wouldn't really use it for gigging though.

TwistedLogic
    I have a Danelectro Honeytone mini amp and it works pretty well for what it is. It cost like $40 cdn. The clean on this, as with this reviewed amp, were nice enough.
    reaverman
    I got this yesterday (29/04/09), for 39.99 at Guitar Village in Farnham. I was looking for something very portable, but could produce some audible noise (unlike the Vox). So I practise at work on my lunch breaks, and not have to lug my practise amp about. I also looked at the mini-marshall stuff too, but opted for the Hodad. TBH this is a great little box, well worth 39.99. For a start, it greatly reduces on baggage. I can put the Hodad in the Gigbag, without any problems. It produces some great noises, impressive for such a little box. I've opted to buy some rechargeable 9v batteries, rather than buy an adaptor. Purely because of the number of occupied sockets at work, which cannot be unplugged.
    Zach Dunn
    reaverman wrote: I've opted to buy some rechargeable 9v batteries, rather than buy an adaptor. Purely because of the number of occupied sockets at work, which cannot be unplugged.
    thats what i plan to do