N-10 HoneyTone review by Danelectro

Danelectro: N-10 HoneyTone

I have tried several guitars with it including a Custom built Les Paul style Goldtop w/ humbuckers, a Squire Strat w/ Single coils and a Washburn Hollowbody with a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P-90. This amp reacts suprisingly well to all of them. It has the tone that you would expect from each pickup instead of just giving out a bland universal tone as with most of these little travel amps. The Honey Tone sounds it's best in my opinion with a very mild overdrive, with the Volume halfway, the overdrive at maybe 2 or 3 and the tone about 3/4th of the way up. This gives you a bluesy type crunch. Any distortion past this is very harsh. It's fun to play around with, it just doesn't sound very good if your wanting to practice rather then experiment with tones. This amp acually has a very pretty clean sound with the overdrive at zero. The only thing to watch is, just like with a good old tube amp, the distortion increases as the volume increases. I acually prefer the sound of the volume cranked vs the overdrive knob cranked. The knobs on this amp are acually pretty responsive. It obviously won't get loud enough to gig, but it will keep up with a Acoustic guitar easily. This amp is able to produce clean, blues, rock and metal tones, so it fits just about every genre. Although, again, it won't pull off any of these perfectly, so don't expect a perfect tone out of it, it's a battery travel amp. The only complaint I have is that it starts to break up when the volume is around 3, so it does not have very much headroom. It also has a harsh distortion at higher settings, but again, it's a $20 practice amp.

This is a very good amp. It doesn't have an amazing jaw dropping sound, but the sound and tones it does have are amazing considering this is a battery amp that is $20. With those two things in mind, this amp is absolutly unbeatable. It sounds just as good (better in my opinion) as the other Marshall and Orange pocket battery amps that are 2 and 3 times as much. I have to take off for the annoying hiss when using a AC adaptor, but other then that, you can't beat this for the money. It's perfect for small hotel room or vacation Jam sessions, which is what I'm sure Danelectro had in mind when making it.

This amp is a tank. It doesn't seem like it, but I couldn't count the number of times I have dropped or knocked this thing over (it is a little top heavy and easy to do since the chord is in the top and it's easy to pull over. It probably happens to me more since i like rocking out and moving when I play, lol.) But there has been almost no damage to it. However the battery compartment no longer works. I'm assuming this is because of it's many falls, but I can't say for sure. The only BIG complaint I have about it is the AC adaptor. I got one since the battery wires are shot, and when it has the adaptor is it has a strange hissing background noise. I don't know if it's a grounding issue or what, but it can get pretty annoying.

The Honey Tone is very easy to use. It has Volume, Tone and Overdrive knobs and an input on the top panel of the amp. The right side has a headphone jack along with a 9 volt adaptor plug in. The back of the amp has a little removable door for the 9 volt battery, much like a pedal. This amp is not loaded with features, but it is a small travel amp, so it has all of the features you would need.