N-10 HoneyTone Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 03/30/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Danelectro: N-10 HoneyTone
This is the definitive small portable amp. Great clean or overdriven vintage sound. Real leather handle allows you to carry it by hand.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 7.9
 9.1
 6.6
 12,999
reviews (9) 26 comments vote for this gear:
N-10 HoneyTone Reviewed by: Goldtop11, on march 30, 2011

Features: The Honey Tone is very easy to use. It has Volume, Tone and Overdrive knobs and an input on the top panel of the amp. The right side has a headphone jack along with a 9 volt adaptor plug in. The back of the amp has a little removable door for the 9 volt battery, much like a pedal. This amp is not loaded with features, but it is a small travel amp, so it has all of the features you would need. // 10

Sound: I have tried several guitars with it including a Custom built Les Paul style Goldtop w/ humbuckers, a Squire Strat w/ Single coils and a Washburn Hollowbody with a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P-90. This amp reacts suprisingly well to all of them. It has the tone that you would expect from each pickup instead of just giving out a bland universal tone as with most of these little travel amps. The Honey Tone sounds it's best in my opinion with a very mild overdrive, with the Volume halfway, the overdrive at maybe 2 or 3 and the tone about 3/4th of the way up. This gives you a bluesy type crunch. Any distortion past this is very harsh. It's fun to play around with, it just doesn't sound very good if your wanting to practice rather then experiment with tones. This amp acually has a very pretty clean sound with the overdrive at zero. The only thing to watch is, just like with a good old tube amp, the distortion increases as the volume increases. I acually prefer the sound of the volume cranked vs the overdrive knob cranked. The knobs on this amp are acually pretty responsive. It obviously won't get loud enough to gig, but it will keep up with a Acoustic guitar easily. This amp is able to produce clean, blues, rock and metal tones, so it fits just about every genre. Although, again, it won't pull off any of these perfectly, so don't expect a perfect tone out of it, it's a battery travel amp. The only complaint I have is that it starts to break up when the volume is around 3, so it does not have very much headroom. It also has a harsh distortion at higher settings, but again, it's a $20 practice amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is a tank. It doesn't seem like it, but I couldn't count the number of times I have dropped or knocked this thing over (it is a little top heavy and easy to do since the chord is in the top and it's easy to pull over. It probably happens to me more since i like rocking out and moving when I play, lol.) But there has been almost no damage to it. However the battery compartment no longer works. I'm assuming this is because of it's many falls, but I can't say for sure. The only BIG complaint I have about it is the AC adaptor. I got one since the battery wires are shot, and when it has the adaptor is it has a strange hissing background noise. I don't know if it's a grounding issue or what, but it can get pretty annoying. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a very good amp. It doesn't have an amazing jaw dropping sound, but the sound and tones it does have are amazing considering this is a battery amp that is $20. With those two things in mind, this amp is absolutly unbeatable. It sounds just as good (better in my opinion) as the other Marshall and Orange pocket battery amps that are 2 and 3 times as much. I have to take off for the annoying hiss when using a AC adaptor, but other then that, you can't beat this for the money. It's perfect for small hotel room or vacation Jam sessions, which is what I'm sure Danelectro had in mind when making it. // 9

N-10 HoneyTone Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2006

Purchased from: Pongetti's Musical Instruments

Features: This amp was made in 1998. This amp may not seem that versatile as it only has three knobs but follow the manual that comes with it you can get any sound you want. I play all styles of musoc, including the ones I don't like, and this amps perfect. Very Vintage look too. Also, it is very, very loud (at least 10 watts). It's a tube amp. It has a walkman style headphnoe jack so you don't have to go buy fancy expensive headphones and a belt clip. // 10

Sound: I use a Mexican 50th anniversary Fender Stratocaster with single coil pickups and it sounds beautiful. Don't use any guitars newer then the amp because it wil give off a very bad sound. Out of all my styles my favourite is classic rock and this amp is perfect for that. Like I said it can get very loud but it wont really bring any distortion. The overdrive is great as long as you don't turn it to high. That's where it just becomes a second volume. It can make any variety of sounds if you follow the book that comes with it. The clean is a little distorted but not too bad. Unfortunately all guitars without humbuckers get a lot of hum not too much bucking so the best sound will come from a Gibson guitar or any other with humbuckers (but Gibson works best. Like I said don't turn the overdrive (distortion) too high and it'll be alright. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can't depend on it for a very long time (batterys die as fast as they do in a wireless sytem) but a shortbasement gig I could use it but I'd definitley bring a backup. This amp is incredibly durable. It fell from 5 feet up and hit concrete and it didn't even make a scratch. And that is wow from something made out of plastic. It's never broken down yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and this is a perfect amp! I've only been playing for 2 years (but I'm playing at a grade 6 level in guitar) and I'm 10, but I own a strat and a few effects and trust me, I know, this is a good amp. If it were stolen or lost I would but it again unless I had lots of money because then I'd just keep saving for a 1968 Gibson SG. The only thing I wish it had was reverb. // 10

N-10 HoneyTone Reviewed by: StratoAgile, on february 09, 2011

Features: Year: ??? Honeytone Amplifier Features: 4 Watts RMS 10 Watts Peak Tone and Volume Controls Separate Overdrive Control 1/4" Input Jack Headphone Jack 3" Speaker Convenient Belt Clip Real Leather Handle 9V DC Jack This little amp has an overdrive feature, but it sounds bad, so if you want this amp just for the overdrive, forget it. Buy a pedal. The leather handle is a bit small, so if you have a big hand like me, it's hard to pick it up without having to turn the knobs. // 7

Sound: Now to the worst part... if you get past 3/4 the volume knob on this amp it starts to get a bit noisy(On CLEAN setting), BUT if you use a pedal with a Master Volume function you can get the amps volume up a bit without having much noise. I've only tested this amp on a Epiphone GT Limited Reissue P-90, so I don't know how it'll work with Humbuckers. The amp can make the following settings:(Acording to the manual) *Clean & Sparky *Woodstock Fuzz *Big Amp Overdrive *Twang *Distorted Rhythm *Brit Solo Tune *Warm Jazz *"Send The Cats Under The Bed" *Killer Blues *Mondo Sustain *Thick Solo *Sparkle Clean *70's Brit *Early 80's(Clean)Solo *Late 60's Neck Solo *70's Solo I don't use any of those settings though, I have my own. I'm using this amp with the DigiTech RP-70 and the Danelectro D-5 Chorus Effects, it works great, sometimes I even get a Vintage tone with it! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is great for someone who lives in an apartment, and doesn't want to wake his/her neighbor at late hours. If you're planning on buying this little amp, don't forget to buy a 9V DC Adaptor. The battery runs out in like a hour or so. You'll may not notice that the sound from the amp will decrease after that period of time... good thing i have an adapter from my RP-70. The amps' material is pure plastic, but if your a careful person this little amp will last. At the Guitar Center, if you pay 5$ they'll give you a 2 year warranty for this little guy. Even if it's your fault they'll give/send you a new one. Includes: Spills, Falling, and breaking. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm playing for about 2 years now, I bought a new guitar and I'm not at home... So I needed to get a new amp just to test my guitar out and I couldn't get anything big so I decided to get this amp. It's the best low range price amp out there, I tested Mini Fender, Marshalls... And this was the best for it's price. I mostly play Classic Rock, Jazz, Rock, Heavy Rock, Heavy Metal, Metal, Blues... // 8

N-10 HoneyTone Reviewed by: The Nameless666, on june 25, 2004

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This amp is a Danelectro Honey Tone. It was one of those kool mini amps. It runs on a 9 volt batterie so you can bring it anywhere, it also even has a belt clip on the back of it so you can just clip it to your pants and walk around and play ur guitar. The amp has a volume, tone and drive knobs and it may not sound like a lot but thats all it needs. It also has a headphone jack and a spot to put a DC adapter. // 10

Sound: When I first used this amp I was stunned, I had no clue how loud an amp of its size could be. And trust me it's really loud! And the distortion on it is just amazing, this thing can pump out way more sound then it looks like it can, it has more then enough volume and distortion then I need it for. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well I definently wouldn't use this in a gig cuz it's not that loud that ppl would be able to hear it! I just use this at home for wen my main amp is at my friends house and I don't bring it back to my home, it's a great backup for when its not around. The first day I got this I droped it and it looked like it hit the floor pretty hard, but no harm done, it still sounded perfect and theres no marks on it from the drop, I can always trust this wen I don't have my other amp with me. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great amp, it's way more fun then normal amps that have plugs becuase with this amp I can just walk outside and start playing while im going down the streets. It's good to jsut be playing by yourself and learning a few things while you dont have your regular amp with you. Yah so its mostly a good backup for wen your normal amp isnt there, it has the tone, volume, and distortion to serve a perfect backup. // 10

N-10 HoneyTone Reviewed by: heminder, on april 04, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I've only been playing guitar for a few weeks, and this can play clean and with full on distortion and echo. It's got good features for what it is. It can run off the battery or a DC adapter. It has a guitar input jack, a headphone/line-out jack, and an output jack. It lets you alter the level of distortion. I've used the same battery it came with up until now, and wasn't started to wear out yet. // 9

Sound: Awesome. I connect this to my 2.1 Logitech speakers and I get awesome sound. It can plug into virtually any set of speakers or headphones. I've even played through my 5.1 surround sound system at home! You can play really loud and not blow the speakers! Clean sounds clean, and distorted sounds cool, especially with the echo on. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's well built, however one of the pegs on the battery compartment lid broke off. It still holds in place, though. It doesn't creak when you try to crush it (why would you want to), and the buttons push down nicely, without squeaking or jerking. It's quite light, so you won't notice it clipped onto your belt or in your pocket. // 8

Overall Impression: Sweet. If I lost it, I'd buy another. I play metal, and it's cool. It can also power out some old skool rock, acoustic, and stuff. I play through some random guitar I picked up off ebay for 30. It's not great, but it's decent for a first guitar. I'm sure this thing will sound even better when I get my SG soon. // 10

N-10 HoneyTone Reviewed by: jo3myster, on july 09, 2007

Features: Honestly I love the Danelectro Honetone Mini amplifier for three reasons. One, It is small. Two, it is loud. And three, it's got a built in distortion (overdrive). But on the down side the Distortion is not that great if you turn up the amp to loud, or to low. Also it's plastic, so It might break easier. (I'm not saying it will break because of that but It's just a thought). This amp fits my msic style perfectly. // 9

Sound: As of right now I am using an Ibanez RG 4EX1 with stock pickups. I'm not sure what kind they are though) But my Ibanez plus this for practice is perfect for most types of rock (AC/DC, Metallica). But if you turn it up to loud it does tend to get kinda crackly, and bad sounding. It does also depend on what your suroundings are, like if you were in a room filled with people and it was really noisy, It would suck. But if your just playin by yourself practicing or with a few pwople it would probably be fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If I could gig with the Danelectro Honeytone, I wouldn't. The reason being is for one, it is not loud enough to hear over drumming. Two, I just don't even think the batteries would last that long. But This amp has been quite reliable for me for the time I've owned it, because it hasn't broken down or needed repairs yet and I don't belive It will need any any time soon. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall imperession of this amp is that is a good practice amp for the price. I mean come on, $20.00. If you do have a little bit more money to spend I would recomend getting the mini marshal amp, just because it sounds better The marshal is like, $40.00 though so you might want to think that through before buying the marshal. But overall this amp is good for laike AC/DC or even blues type stuff. // 9

N-10 HoneyTone Reviewed by: ranbat, on january 26, 2009

Features: I bought this amp because I wanted something I could throw in my guitar case. The HoneyTone has been the perfect answer. It is surprisingly loud for such a tiny amp. I like to play a lot of different styles and this little guy fits the bill. I can go from clean blues and country twang to searing lead and fuzzy metal. It's about as basic as it gets with only 3 knobs- Off/Volume, Tone and Overdrive. It features a headphone jack which I have yet to use. Uses a standard 1/4" jack and comes with it's own 'Vintage Power Supply'(9V battery), but I'd suggest getting the power supply. It eats batteries pretty quickly. // 9

Sound: I played through it with both my Squier Strat w/3 single coils and my Jagmaster w/humbuckers. Even just using the suggested settings in the included manual, you can get a whole range of tones and sounds. Obviously the clean tones are great with the Strat. But using the 'Woodstock Fuzz' creates a gnarly thick tone w/single coils. The humbucker equipped guitar really seemed to Shine with the '70s Brit' and '70s Solo' settings. You really can pull a lot out of this little amp. The cleans are clean and the overdrive/distortion is gritty. // 9

Reliability & Durability: While I've only had this little amp for about a week, I'd say it's fairly sturdy, since I have already pulled it off my desk onto the wood floor. It's not an amp for gigging, unless it's just you and your guitar busking on a street corner. Even then, you couldn't depend on it using batteries alone. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this amp for it's simplicity, wide range of tones and portability. I take a guitar to work quite often and having to drag a practice amp along has always been a pain. With the HoneyTone I can just throw it in the guitar case and go. If it was lost, broken or stolen I'd definitely buy another. In fact I'll probably be looking into buying Danelectro's other mini amp also. The HoneyTone is great for the desktop or bathroom. I will mention that I did look at offerings from Marshall, Fender and Dean Markley. For the price, none of them can touch the HoneyTone. // 8

N-10 HoneyTone Reviewed by: gunslinger1, on january 26, 2009

Price paid: C$ 33.75

Purchased from: One on One Guitars

Features: I bought this amp from a guitar shop that specializes in service. This amp was made in 2008 made in china, all though it was made in china it is still good quality. The amp is pretty suitable for all types of music if you follow The Music sound guide, it will sound good enough. It has distortion and clean for a good Vintage tone. I wish it had a better distortion but it's just a mini amp. I usually use this amp at friends houses, my basement, one time the street, my room and for a mini amp it has loudness. It has the jack to plug in every day headphones and a nice Vintage look. It has a belt clip so you can move around with it on your belt and it has overdrive, tone and volume and a leather handle. The amp runs on a battery that comes with it, but when you need a replacement get the cheapest you can find the salesman told me so there a pro. // 8

Sound: I have 3 electrics, a Squier Bullet an Epiphone Casino and a an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2. Each one has the stock pickups single coil squiers, p-90 single coilds in my Casino give a great sound but I haven't played this guitar on my honeytone yet. I play classic rock, southern rock, chicken picken, country, slide, thrash, metal, hard rock, blues. This amp does a greaet job on the blues and jazzy type stuff.This amp is not noisy, but the distortion isnt that great it's got a sound of it's own but actually it's not that bad. The sounds the amp makes are according to the book- clean and spanky, warm jazz, big amp overdrive, killer blues, distorted rythm, thick solo, woodstock fuzz, send the cats under the bed, twang, mondo sustain, brit solo tone, sparkle clean, early 80s clean solo, late sixties neck solo, 70s brit, 70s solo. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on it for just fooling around in the basement or at a friends or figuruing out a song by the computer. Since it is only a mini amp you obvioulsy wuoldnt use at a gig but maybe for warming up before a show it would be great. The amp I have transported this amp out in the cold -36c below weather and it came out on top. I have not dropped it yet but it is made out of plastic and I've heard it's quite durable. When you have an amp it's good too take care of it so it'll always be there. I've had this for 1 month and the amp hasn't died yet. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety from country to metal. It is a good match but the distortion isnt that great but it does the job so it's a good match for before I do my gigs. I have been playing for 5 years now. I also own a Traynor guitarmate 15since 2004 but that came broken. There was nothing I had to ask before buting this product because I read so much about it watched reviews and played it before I bought it. If it was stolen I would probably buy another so I could practice before the show. mY favourite feature is the sounds you can get out of it. There is nothing I hate about about it. I like the retro 50's look. It looks like something scotty moore would use plus it looks like the old style radios. It comes in 3 colurs aqua, burgand and white I would have gotten burgandy but all they had was aqua. I compared this to other mini amps, it appears this is better than the marshal MS-2 plus this was cheaper and people said it was better. I wish it had a distortion of my grampas Fender amp. // 9

N-10 HoneyTone Reviewed by: MasterRayUK, on july 05, 2011

Price paid: £ 36.99

Purchased from: Sounds Plus

Features: I was looking for a mini amp to take with me in the car, without having to buy a pure sine wave inverter. After looking at a few on YouTube, I liked the look of this one and went and got one. Had a choice of 4 colours, has clean, overdrive and tone controls. Runs of a 9v battery or power supply not included. It could do with a build in tuner but can't complain. // 9

Sound: Didn't really know what to expect from a mini-amp but I can't express how good this little things clean tones sound, the overdrive is nice, but you'll struggle to get a heavy tone. Sounds so sweet playing blues through this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Not long had it however did fall of the table. Didn't mark it or anything. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great little amp, not only is the sound amazing, but it is quite loud for a mini-amp. I'm beginning to prefer prefer using this at home rather than my Marshall MG set. It's way better than I expected. // 10

Comments