DMC-80 Review

manufacturer: Dean Markley date: 04/17/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Dean Markley: DMC-80
Dean Markley DMC-80 solid state stereo/chorus amp is no longer in production, last run was 1996. This is NOT a practice amp, it can be very loud!
 9.2
 8.8
 9.5
 2,498
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
DMC-80 Reviewed by: PoorOtis, on april 17, 2014

Purchased from: Murphy Music

Features: Review on Dean Markley DMC-80 Solid State Stereo/Chorus Amp. This amp is no longer in production, last run was 1996. Made in Korea, 100 watt output (50 watts/Channel X2 @ 4 Ohms) through 2x10 Celestion (Rock Series) speakers, its a true stereo/chorus amplifier. It has a great (Tank) spring reverb, Stereo Effects Loop and Drive Voicing Module with a possible 256 different tone variations. This is NOT a practice amp, it can be very loud! It's 16 1/2 X 23 3/8 X 10 3/4 and weights 52 Lbs.

I do not want to start up something with tube guys out there... I traded in a tube amp that was giving me problems on this SS DMC-80 in 1995 and have owned it ever since. This amp has been pulled off stages, dropped/pulled/kicked in the road case, frozen in aircraft hauls... And has never... I mean never failed me. Last time it was to the tech it received a clear bill of health, and that was 10 years ago. IMO... This amp sounds really close to a tube... And many people who have heard it ask me if its a Mesa. The DMC-80 amp came out around the same time Fender came out with their Hot Rod Series, and I feel this amp was seriously under rated in early reviews. It's one of the Best Amps that I've ever owned. // 9

Sound: This amp about covers it, and can be used in many styles of music. I use mine for rock/blues/and a lil country. This amp can stand on its own, without a lot of digital/analog stuff thrown in. The amp is very quite, no buzz/60 cycle humm... Nothing. I only use a Ibanez Tube Screamer to get a little more out on the blues side, and leave it on the factory pre-set on the Drive Voicing Module. But this amp can/will produce many more tones out of it. It all depends on the style that you play and what you want to get out of the amp. It's not a tube... but pretty darn close. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Strong. Built like a tank. With all its been through its Never let me down! Had a back up amp... Never used it! YES... This amp will withstand live playing... and then some! Lasted me since I bought mine new in 1995! I have a back up amp that I have never used. And I do expect this amp to outlive me! Only complaint is - the amp has 2 plugs for footswitch, one for channel select, one for chorus on/off. But it does not come with a footswitch! Seems a little strange to me! Only had the pots cleaned several years ago. Otherwise its still good to go! // 9

Overall Impression: My 3 main guitars are: Fender American Strat, Gibson 137, Charvel (86) model #3. This amp brings out the Best in these guitars. Information is very scarce on the DMC-80, and reviews are few. These amps were distributed by Kaman. From 1996-2010 Dean Markley did not produce any amps. But in 2011 DM bought out Ultrasound and their are some models available today under the DM name. For more reviews - www.pandahi.com/1015255837.html.

I wold rate this amp a 10 (does it for me). But I will give it a 9 since it is not a tube! I traded in a original 68 Vibrolux Reverb on this amp. Not only because if fit in the flight case. Because just how damn good the amp sounds. And I bought two! This is an "amazing amp." // 9

Comments