K-50 review by Dean Markley

Dean Markley: K-50

Purchased from: E-bay

I play it with a crappy Ibanez JS 100 and a beautiful American Fender Strat. It is noisy on the Ibanez when you turn up the drive but it's probably just because of the crappy pickups. On the strat, it sounds great. The amp can make typical drive, reverb and clean sounds, and just about anything with the necessary pedals probably. The clean channel can become somewhat distorted at high volumes, but nothing too bad. The distortion can be brutal, it all depends on the settings you set up.

I own some pedals and a crappy First Act amp, I hope to get a Vox amp sometimes in the near future. It can match any style with the necessary tweaking but it still is somewhat mediocre. If it were stolen or lost I would buy something else simply because there are better amps out there and I wouldn't go to the trouble to search out this amp because it's production was discontinued sometime ago.

I feel I could depend on it, it has never broken down as long as I've had it and I doubt it ever will. I would use it on a gig if I needed to.

The amp is somewhat versatile, it comes with built in drive and reverb. You can even program the the amount of bass you prefer in your drive. I play everything except country and hip-hop on the guitar (that would be impossible anyways). It has 90 watts of power not bad for a medium sized amp. It could just be the fact that the amp is fairly old but it's obviously not the same quality as a Marshall or Vox, but it's still pretty nice.

guildplayer
    I've been playing with this amp since I started 7 years ago, and it still sounds great. It goes louder than I'll ever need it to go at 75 Watts (drowns out my drummer before i set the knob halfway), and its never broken on me. I travel with it all the time: gigs, band practice, studios, and I've never had a problem with it. I fully recommend this amp.
    fingerzofFire
    This was my first amp. It was purchased from my uncle, which was one of his first amps. This little amp packs a decent punch for its size. I regret selling it due to the fact that it was so reliable. I would drown out half-stacks when I jammed with people. This amp, if ever came across, would be an amazing purchase. The only problem that mine had was the reverb tube needed replaced. The Speaker was in perfect condition. I'm looking to purchase one, if I ever come across another piece of the 80's.
    Tedward
    my frend has a dean markley amp, 30 watts, newer than this one for sure, but it sounds excellent. the cleans are amazing. the distortion is good, but could be better. If only i knew the model...