Herbert review by Diezel

Diezel: Herbert

I really dig all three channels. Most people don't really change the settings enough to get an idea of all the capabilities of the amp. You really need to use the volume knob on the guitar to get an idea of the range of sounds available. I have a mix of guitars including: a Suhr Classic (P90,single,'bucker), G&L Comanche, 335, Reverends and a Les Paul. I've never played one amp that really gets along with all my guitars. As far as noise, 60 cycle hum can be a little annoying with single coils in high gain mode--like any high gain amp. Noise on the power line can also be an issue. This is pretty typical of most amps. The clean channel has a lot of headroom and really works well with overdrive pedals to add a bit of crunch. It will do that Hiwatt thing quite a bit. The second channel is an easy favorite. The -/+ switch really gives a lot of range. You can get tones from SRV, to Soldano SLO 100, Marshall and beyond. The third channel is pretty wicked and can be unforgiving when playing sloppy. Attack is immediate and very punchy. I think that this channel needs to be experimented with to be fully appreciated. Don't just go for the really high gain dial in--roll the gain back a bit and see what you can get. I've sold all of my other amps because I'm totally satisfied with the Herbert. I like everything from blues to Nu metal and I think it handles all those genres well.

I don't think that there is a perfect amp for everyone. I've had Boogies, Top Hats, Bad Cats, and have access to just about everything out there. I think that the Herbert is one of the most versatile amps out there. The tones are incredible. I love a lot of different amps and will likely own others down the road, but I will never sell the Herbert.

I think the amp is extremely well built. I'm kind of picky when it comes to design quality. It's built like a tank. Tubes are always the tricky part when it comes to amps. All than glowing glass needs to be treated right (standby/shutdown). Tubes are usually the problem in the few Herbert problems I've heard.

My amp is a Herbert Mark II purchased last fall. We can all look at the specs on the website. I purchased mine new from Tone Merchants. I find it interesting that the last reviewer couldn't get support for his amp issues. I don't think Diezel should be blamed for user incompetence. The loops are the best I've ever used and the amp is great with most pedals.

ken20008
    holy ****ing shit HELLSHREDD please shut up. You dont know how great these monsters are. Pure tube tone, no other amp really comes to comes to Diezel's standard. And a lot of bands uses them, every now and then, and bands like Tool use them permanently. Want more proof? Ask people who own a Diezel. Better still, try one, if not, shut up. I bet there are many many Diezel owners who would agree with me on this.
    maximumrocker
    HELLSHREDD wrote: If diezel is so great , how come i dont know 1 big name band that uses them? If i was gonna get another amp the Mesa road king II is all the way kik ass & half the price of this overrated amp.....This amp is for people who are either very rich or stupid , try a Splawn it sounds better than these if ya wanna spend big money...or a Engl
    James Hetfield?? Buckethead?
    sg4ever
    Neal Schon of Journey uses Diezel Tool use them Shinedown has used them Flyleaf use them Rascal Flatts (bahahahaha) uses them Myles Kennedy has one want more?
    GrisKy
    Truth, Diezel is the shizz, but I opted for the VH4. Hard to go wrong with that model or this one. btw, way more people than you might think have Diezel amps playing a prominent role on their albums, particularly this model.
    BAoxymoron
    HELLSHREDD: WTF are you talking about a) use coherent words because other wise you look like an idiot(oh wait your are) b) lots of bands use them just most of them aren't particularly popular because they don't want to sell out just to get an endorsement c) You need to take the SHREDD off your name and change it to OFANIDIOT because any decent metalhead knows what a Diezel is especially a Herbert
    HELLSHREDD
    Go take a flying **** at a rolling donut ya wadgobbler
    nio wrote: Hellshred, you're a ****in' idiot. Good amps aren't about who the hell plays them, they are about their sound. So go out and try one instead of talkin' shit here. I also got 2 Framus guitars; they're not well known, but who the hell cares? Framus is the best guitar brand I've ever played, and 've played many guitars. But to your question: this is because you're a ****in' idiot. again. Richie Sambora plays one, Metallica plays them, Korn plays them, Tool plays them...want more? By the way.....it's AN Engl.
    enselmis
    how many years has diezel been around? are they a long time company like marshall or somewhat younger, like bugera or a company like that. looks like a great amp, just an honest question.
    Tonefreeq89
    Also, not a lot of bands endorse them, compared to a Marshall or Mesa, because Diezel does not do paid endorsements like the other companies. Also, this amp is not overrated, if anything it's underrated, it's 180 watts pure tube tone.
    nio
    Ishiga
    Diezel are damn good amps. Problem. Compared to the Mesa line, the Herbert could tear up an entire series of mesas put together without breaking a sweat. It's also $2000-3000 more expensive.
    Tonefreeq89
    I have an Einstein (see my review) and taking the plunge to buy a Diezel is the best decision I have ever made. It's worth it.
    convictionless
    ya i totally want this soo badly im saving up for it and i was going to save up for a mesa but now im going to be gettin this amp
    RG_FANMAN
    Hey, don't Sikth use these? By the way, punksucks666, Diezel is a really good company from what i hear. Alt-rock to death metal musicians rely on Diezels, so they seem pretty tight (although expensive! XD). If one of these isn't in your budget, Mesa is a good option, and so is a peavey (5150 or 6505).
    punksucks666
    im honestly curious, maybe its because i live in australia, but i've never heard of diezel, im looking to upgrading my randall solid state head into a really hardcore metal amp, i was thinking the mesa boogie would be the way to go, i need to look into this
    HELLSHREDD