VH4 review by Diezel

Diezel: VH4

Price paid: A$ 5000

Purchased from: B Music

I bought this amp hoping to get that Hetfield tone. It come close but at the same time was far off. Ch1 has really tight direct clean sound very chimy and bright diddnt sound very warm and round it was more harsh and immediate! Ch2 was great AC/DC tones all the way. Ch3 was very good very tight you can make this thing sound massive. In a way I would say that when ch3 is cranked it is more of a hard rock amp than a metal amp, it can just get there but dosnt go the full way, if I bought a Diezel again it would be the Herbert. Another thing is that every chanel sounds like Diezel no matter what you do and it diddnt really sit well in the mix with another guitar and drums. Ch4 was unusable.

I play mostly metal this amp will satisfy most metal players. I have been playing for 14 years and owned many high end amps and guitars. I wish I could have tried this amp before buying but due to the only dealer in Australia being 1000km away it was not an option. If it were stolen I would buy something else. I loved the fact that there were four independant chanels on this amp and the effects loop was great. I hated that you needed to turn it up loud to get it to sound good. This amp sounds like nothing else I have heard. I chose this amp because I am a massive Hetfield fan and I have just sold it because the only Hetfield tones you will achieve with this amp are death magnetic tones! I am going back to the Mesa Boogie Mark V you can achieve every Metallica tone with this amp especially the "Black Album" tone. It nails it!

Very well built. I couldn't see anything going wrong with it.

Diezel VH4. Four chanels, 100 watt, head.

guy_tebache
    sounds like you're going about everything wrong. You shouldnt buy an amp because some guitarist you like plays it, you should buy an amp because its the right amp for YOU. Also, a bit lacking in the features section. This amp has loads of features.
    Seref
    This is a crappy review of an amazing amp. We usually get the inverse here at UG. Interesting.
    ronin_dude21
    This amp is stuuupid versitile from what I've heard/seen online as I do not have 5,000 to drop on this, I can't speak from experience. BUT - For hetfield's tone you'll be looking for a while, He uses Mesa Triaxis' and H4's mixed...soo...good luck lol.
    colonel sadler
    I Bought this amp 2 months ago after quite a while of collecting money. I was amazed, the tone was much better than the one i tried in the shop which was amazing, I think the one in the shop had different tubes or something. Anyway with my PRS 245 CHARCOAL BURST there is no saying it's under a 10 rating.
    dusted04
    sorry to you all who diddnt like my review i am not a journalist im just your average guy ! as for those saying i diddnt even own a vh4 that is untrue i bought it i had it for about 4 months it diddnt do it for me so i moved on thanks anyway !
    Sakke
    Sakke wrote: Either this reviewer hasn't really bought the product.. or has played it for 1 hour max. Seriously, Diezel VH4 has a lot more options and features like said above.
    Uhh.. Sorry for double post.. I also highly doubt that channel 4 is unusable. Of course it gets loud when you have volumes all the way up, it's a 100W all-tube head...
    DemonicZero
    ProgJazzMath wrote: This thing gets serious metal tone. Way heavier and dirtier than any Mesa could reproduce. It has quite the price tag, but if you have money to spend, definitely get these. Plus, I hear the customer support for this amp company is amazing.
    Its beastly good, Peter Diezel himself will talk to you
    long_live_keith
    i have a vh4 for 1 month now and honestly anybody who says shit about that monster of an amp, has never really tried. it takes quite some time to find the right sound. its very sensitive. but once you have your settings, it's just simply amazing. forget those who say it's to compressed, to modern, no soul. you can make that amp sound like anything you want, but you have to find out how. show me a better and more versatile amp. i buy it. and believe me i'm normaly more of a vintage guy and not into hi-fi. but this amp is special!!!!
    squirttilithurt
    The VH4 does not sound like Death Magnetic. My friend and I had a conversation about how crappy Metallica's last few albums have sounded and if they could just capture the damn sound that is coming out of the VH4, then the listening experience would be so much better. The VH4 does not sound like St Anger or Death Magnetic.
    squirttilithurt
    Best sound from an amp is subjective. Also, the VH4 sounds very different with EL34s and 6L6s. The Mesa Mark V has better cleans than the VH4, but the VH4 is better in every other way (in my opinion). It is better for heavy stuff, has a better lead channel, and has a better crunch. The Mark V is not as good as the Mark IV for heavy riffing or soloing (in my opinion).
    sterlingsimmons
    I want this amp so bad. this guy who reviewed it doesnt know shit. this amp has (in my opinion) the best sound for guitar no matter what! used in tool by adam jones it sounds ****ing amazing on the recordings and live in concert! you would expect spending $4,500 dollars this amp would be amazing and thats exactly what it is. you definitely get your momeys worth for the amp, its extremely versatile in sound.
    Uncle Manwich
    I've only heard amazing things about this amp. I do believe Adam Jones from Tool has one of these. I wish I had 5k.
    Wiintruder
    Jsteele1408 wrote: Yeah. I'd buy a 5,000 dollar amp to sound like James Hetfield, too...
    I lol'd. Anyway, for the price tag, if it sounds just a little better than the Einstein, then it's an awesome amp. Agreed with everybody who said this amp has way more features. Just a quick look at the website is enough to reject this review.
    flyingmarlin
    This isn't the most helpful review ever made. It's a bit of a 'tunnel vision' review, there's plenty more to talk about in regards to this amp I'm sure. Hats of for wanting to make a review but next time make it a bit more in depth.
    TheFallofBen
    Thanks brah brah
    iceh88
    yea while i was reading this i was thinking that now all you have to do is buy a Mesa Triaxis or any of the rectifiers and figure out how Hetfield EQ's all his stuff. Good luck with that.
    Sakke
    GS LEAD 5
    ^Personal preferecnce as far as Mesa is concerned but yeah, just listen to Olas demo of it. Its massive.
    ProgJazzMath
    valennic
    You should really have taken more time to write out a thorough review....especially on such a high end amp.