Rebel-20 review by Egnater

Egnater: Rebel-20

Purchased from: Guitar Centre

Like I have already said, this amp can play anything. Unless you need gain 'till your balls drop off, you don't really need an overdrive or any other gain booster. I use it with my Granada hollow body, my Epiphone LP std, and my two Strats. This amp works well with all of them. This amp is as quiet as can be. Even with single coils, this amp stays nice and quiet. But don't let that think you can't get some crazy Nugent approved feedback! With my hollow-body, I can get the sweetest sounding feedback you've ever heard. The only thing this amp can't do is really gainy sounds. I'm not talking stuff like sabbath or BLS, more like that really heavy, obscure black metal stuff.

In summary, you can't go wrong with this amp. Unless you are playing a stadium unmiked (and does anyone on here honestly? ), this amp is plenty loud. This thing handles anything you throw at it. It takes pedals well, it can get a HUGE variety of tones, it's light and, most of all, it's economical. If I lost it or someone stole this amp, I would not hesitate to buy another one. When I tried this amp, I A/B'd it against a silverface Bassman head, a Valveking, a Peavey 6505+, a DR.Z MAZ 18 and a Fender supersonic. The only amp that sounded better was the DR.Z (because, well, it's a DR.Z for f--k sakes! ). It beat every other amp flat out. So, if you are in the market for your first tube amp, or if you are a seasoned pro who wants a quality amp, you owe it to yourself to check out the Egnater Rebel 20.

This amp is built like a brick s--t house. I think this amp is gonna outlive me! I have had this thing since last the fall of 2008, and I haven't even had a hint of a problem. I could definitely gig with this amp without a backup and not worry for a second.

The Egnater Rebel 20 is simple the best amp in it's price range. No amp at that price can touch the versatility, tone, and overall value of this amp. I got my Egnater in Michigan, and I got it before any of the online stores got them. I've come to the conclusion that this may be one of the first ones on the market (speculation, people. I have no proof of this). this amp is extremely versatile. With the twist of a couple of knobs, I can go from rude plexi crunch, to sweet Fender clean. This amp can handle anything you throw at it. Jazz, Blues, Metal, Rock, Funk, you name it. I play lots of Jam oriented music (Jazz, Blues, think Phish), so this amp is perfect for me. This is a single channel, 20 watt (hence the 20 moniker) all Tube Head. It has a built in effects loop at the back, and three outputs for cabs (16, 8 and 4 Ohms). The font panel goes like this: On/Off Switch, Standby Switch, Tube Selector, Watt selector (we'll talk about those later), Master Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble, Gain, Bright Switch, Tight Switch and then the input. The great features on this amp that you won't find on may other amps are the Tube selection, the Watt selection and the tight Switch. The tube selection lets you choose which par of tubes to use, or mix the up, in REAL TIME. It comes stock with a pair of 6V6s, a pair of EL84s, and a triplet of 12AX7s. The watt selection lets you raise or lower the headroom. Keep it at one, you will get output distortion and natural tube compression more easily. Crank it to twenty, and the amp says cleaner longer. The Tight Switch is a great feature once you crank up the gain. It tightens up the low end to give you more definition and clarity when executing those deep dark passages. I can't honestly think of a feature that I wish this amp had. Maybe a headphone jack, but you don't really need it. I use this amp everywhere. On stage, at home, jamming, etc. That's the beauty of this amp, it can be used anywhere, anytime, by anyone. This amp has more than enough power to keep up with your band mates. Plus, it comes with a carrying case.

jc349
    Just putting this out there for people looking to buy this- 1. The wattage selector is NOT an attenuator. With the amp on 1 watt, you will NOT be able to crank it in your bedroom. You will, however, have decreased headroom. 2. Alot of online reviews elsewhere have complained about the tube mix not working. Keep in mind that the tube mix will only make a noticeable difference when the master volume is high. 3. The matching cab is not that great. This head is strongly dependent on hte cab its paired with. The Egnater cab is brittle and cold. Getting a better cab really opens up the amp Great amp.
    ElevenBravo
    Great amp. I bought used at Gtr Cntr for $299 because the Watts pot was scratchy, but functioning. For another $25 bucks I bought the extended coverage and I'm having it fixed right now as I write this. Anyway, the amp sounds great. I watched video after video and read review after review and then played on it for about an hour in the GC and walked out of the store with it. I run it into a 4x12 cabinet most of the time, but sometimes I'll plug it into the 1x12 Eminence inside my Fender Blues Deluxe tweed combo. I like this amp for the gritty overdrive and chime on the EL84 tubes. I play classic rock (Gibson SG), twangy modern country (Nashville Tele), rockabilly (Gretsch G5120) and straight-on blues (Strat Deluxe) and this amp handles it all. In the f/x loop, I put in a Boss GT-10 unit and it handles it fine. Up front, I run through a MXR Dyna Comp and a Tube Screamer TS-808 Vintage when I need more gain. In summary, I think this amp is a titch over priced at $549 new, but at the used price of $300, I'm loving it. I paid $550 new for the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue which was a steal, so I might be jaded. I also have a Vox AC4TV8 that I switch to when I need that EL84 tone at lower volume levels. To Plan009 - Can it pull of a good metal tone? Someone posted a video here that sounds fairly metal to me. If you're going for ulta-saturated, detuned doom metal sound that slays (like My Dying Bride) then I'd consider a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or an original Peavey 5150)
    ElevenBravo
    ElevenBravo wrote: To Plan009 - Can it pull of a good metal tone? Someone posted a video here that sounds fairly metal to me. If you're going for ulta-saturated, detuned doom metal sound that slays (like My Dying Bride) then I'd consider a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or an original Peavey 5150)
    Here's the video link:
    jorgeluisramon
    The Rebel is agreat amp, I have mine since 3 months ago, and i couldnt be happier. Love all the features. The distortion is so warm, Light-years better than any of the distortion modules in my zoom G7, the only thing that i miss is a Reverb, But i have that on my zoom, thru the effects loop. No Doubt The Best amp in its class. Thanks Bruce!
    wolfman63
    I bought mine and with it bought the 112 cabs. Sound was okay but if you want the best sound play it thru a set of greenbacks or celestion blue speakers.
    jjbarnes
    Has anyone here gigged with this? I'm looking into a new amp, but it's got to be able to gig without a mic and it should be relatively clean. The band has two guitarists, a bassist, drummer, singer and occasionally keys.