Rebel 30 review by Egnater

Egnater: Rebel 30

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

The tones you can get are versatile. It has lush bottom end for full, yet clear sounding cleans. This bottom end translates smoothly into the high gain spectrum where it provides beefy breakup. For heavier music (metalcore and beyond) the Rebel 30 is a bit too fat, lacking in punch. However a Tube Screamer can easily fix this problem and turn this amp into a metal player's dream. Where it really shines, though, is it's leads. Solos higher up on the neck sound really amazing. Excellent dynamics and attack that personally remind me of John Petrucci. The overdrive channel can be used for some really good crunch sounds and clean breakup that responds very well to rolling back on the guitar's volume knob. SRV, Clapton, B.B. King are all here. Overall I think the sound of the Rebel 30 can be summed up in one word: rich. There's a lot of tone to be had through this amp whichever way you tweak it. I personally recommend a Tube Screamer pedal for high gain sounds.

I play alternative metal/rock and blues, and this amp is perfect for both. It has a lot of features - all useful - and a lot of good sounds to be had. That having been said, this isn't an amp where you can dial in a tone in a few seconds. It can take a while to coordinate every knob and switch to find that sound you're looking for. If you're looking for an amp that won't break the bank but will deliver dynamic, rich, and diverse sounds, and that has all the practical features a gigging player could want, you can't go wrong with the Rebel 30. It even has looks to die for.

I haven't had the amp long at all. It definitely seems to be constructed well. There is easy access to the tubes. I'll leave this at a neutral 5.

At first glance, the panel on top of this 1x12 combo looks like a "meat and potatoes" type of interface. It sort of is; Channel 1 (clean) has Treble, Bass, and Volume knobs. Channel 2 (overdrive) has Treble, Middle, Bass, Gain, and Volume. However, upon closer inspection there is an array of useful, tone-shaping controls at the player's disposal. Both channels have a Bright and Tight switch. The Bright switch changes the amp's voicing with a very noticeable high end boost - it is not just a "more treble" button. One can easily distinguish the Bright switch from the Treble knob. The Tight switch is a bit more subtle. It simply takes the fat bottom end and low mids and neatens (tightens! ) them up. Next there is the knob that allows you to switch between - or mix - the EL84 and 6V6 tubes. This is a very effective feature, especially when the amp is being pushed. Beside this are the two variable wattage knobs (one for each channel). At low levels these controls are less noticeable, but like the tube knob they become very apparent at higher volumes. They allow the player the option of playing at anywhere from 1 to 30 watts on either channel. They do effect volume, but mostly effect the texture of the breakup. These are very enjoyable to tweak! Finally, on the rear panel there are separate reverb knobs for each channel. The reverb is digital. It's nothing to write home about but unless you're particular about your reverb, it gets the job done. The Rebel 30 also has an XLR outlet on the rear panel which allows for silent recording via simulated speaker output. I haven't tried this out yet. All in all this amp is packed with good features. They are not marketing gimmicks or bells and whistles to pump up the price tag. Bruce really got it right here with efficient and very practical tools put into a very player friendly package. This amp is a workhorse.

Xeron Brigs
    yutyoy
    Xeron Brigs wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: demea wrote: What does more wattage have to do with anything? LOOOOOUDNESS You do know that you can always mic your amp and it will be extremely loud, right?
    agree, nothing like trying to mic a 100watt tube amp and have to play your volume on 2... low wattage lets you crank it up to that sweet spot and still be PA friendly
    dementiacaptain
    rockfreak611
    dementiacaptain wrote: you know the feature that really sells me is the mixing of the two tube types. thats just a dream to me
    unfortunately, there is little difference in tone when you change tubes on this amp. The tone comes from the other components (caps, trannies, etc)
    weetadsftw
    epiexplorer you've never contributed a thing to any featured review. do us all a favor and just keep it to yourself...
    espplayer400
    ive got one of these. its such a great amp. it took me a while to guet used to playing with less gain than my SS amp had, but i actually hooked up my boss EQ pedal to it, and it made it sound like a decent metal amp. and the cleans are just immaculate. im very satisfied with mine.
    sg4ever
    EpiExplorer wrote: For heavier music (metalcore and beyond) Meat and spuds has made me hungry though... If I had 430-ish I would probably get this. But Fender can sell you something with 4 times as much wattage for nearly half the price. Not for me I'm afraids :3 Even though the reverb on Fender amps are a joke..
    If you are talking about the Fender FM212r then don't. Yes, it is a VERY loud amp, but it is also thin and shrill sounding. The Egnater will have much better tone and comparable volume (well all the volume you'll need to punish a microphone).
    Duv
    The numbers you've given for this review are pretty harsh going on your descriptions. 'It seems to be well constructed so I'll give it 5'...? An aside but I played one of these today and I thought it sounded great. Looked cheap mind. Aesthetically it's pretty disgusting and not the most ergonomic amp in the world by any stretch of the imagination. Good variety between tight/bright/normal and with the tube mixing. The attenuator is also handy. Those glassy tones that you get with this are pretty good though and it's got some beef to it. Overall quite nice, but I don't think I would buy one for the price/looks.
    neoamir
    do anyone know a boost pedal / tube screamer that can turn this to a metal head?
    EpiExplorer
    For heavier music (metalcore and beyond)