Rebel 30 review by Egnater

Egnater: Rebel 30

Ok. This is where the real meat of the amp is. For guitars, I've used a Fender Baja Tele which has had the bridge replaced with a Seymour Duncan Little '59, and a Gibson Les Paul Studio with stock pickups. Without a doubt, this amp has taken both and given me everything I could EVER want to play. I've played folk, alternative, shoegaze, progressive rock, hard rock, and metal with this amp and it does them all wonderfully. For the clean channel, I use my MXR 10 Band EQ pedal to spike the mids a little because the amp automatically starts scooping mids when you go above 12 o'clock on Bass and Treble. This amp puts out one of the most beautiful cleans you will ever hear. It's not Fender style, but it's very similar and with a twist. A twist that I ended up liking more. Not everyone will like the twist, but for those like me, I could never consider using another amp for clean sounds. It's got headroom for days so you can sound clean for days at HUGE volumes. A lot of people I know like to turn the Tube selection to the 6v6 side for their clean channel and I stand behind it. It sounds much better than the EL84 side. I also use a Fulltone OCD on the clean channel to bring me my solo channel. It gives me scorching overdrive with unparalleled note clarity. It's a beauty to behold. The distortion channel on this little amp is also completely brilliant. Nothing about it sounds cheap even in the slightest. I use a seperate MXR 10 band for the distortion channel which takes me from the amps normal hard rock'ish distortion, all the way to an awesome brutal metal sound. Since I own the combo version of this amp, I am considering getting a 2x12 extension to give me the little more low end I need to get the br00tz down the way I want them. The br00tz this amp puts out by itself (without an EQ) are quite lacking, so I definitely recommend an EQ to bring it over the top. The MXR 10 band gives me just enough extra gain to pull off some devestating br00t sounds. But like I said, it's lacking just a little low end. On the EL84 side of the tube selection it's very marshall-esque. I bought the new Boss Power Stack distortion pedal to hopefully compensate the lack of a low end, but it only gave me more gain and some feedback issues so I took it back. The amp's 30 watts is louder than any other 30 watt amp I've played. Including the Vox 30CC2 and the Orange Dual Terror/AD30. It's even louder than the 50w Peavey Valveking 112 combo I used to have. I have to keep the master under 10 o' clock to avoid busting windows in my house, and I use it at about 9 o'clock during band practice.

Overall, this amp is an absolute dream. For anyone with a lower end tube amp, this is a huge improvment. For anyone with a great tube amp that's essentially a one trick pony, I imagine this would be something you should look into for some versatility. For clean sounds, the amp can't be beat. For distortion, this little guy can hold his own too. The main negative on this amp, I believe is the price point. If you're looking for amp heads, this amp sits at only $200 below the Egnater Renegade which is essentially a much better amp. The Rebel 30 does cleans better, but the Renegade owns the rebel in just about every other way. In which case, I'd strongly recommend you just save up for the renegade, but since I had the 15% off coupon, the choice was quite easy to make. After tax and all, the combo amp went from $975 to $784. I also wanted the combo, because I hate dealing with lugging a 100 lb.+ 4x12 to practice and gigs, and this amp does not lack what so ever in volume. I'll end up getting the 2x12 extension for gigs, but for home use and band practice this thing rawks. Buy it. You won't regret it. I know if mine got stolen I'd get it replaced with exactly the same thing. Egnater just needs to lower the price a bit to make it more marketable.

The amp is heavy as a rock, and is about as durable as one. The tolex on the amp tears quite easily as I already have 2 tears in mine so be careful! Other than that, I haven't had a single problem and I honestly doubt I ever will. The combo version comes with a slip on cover with a space for the handle. Use it!

I bought this amp brand new at Guitar Center with a 15% off coupon. Since then I've fallen completely head over heels. Not only for the Rebel 30 but with Egnater Amplification in general. As far as features go, I could tell just from online reviews that this amp was COMPLETELY PACKED with features. It's got almost everything someone would need. 2 channels, EQ's for both channels, external speaker out, silent recording out, reverb controls for each seperate channel, power attenuater from 1 to the full 30 watts, tube selection knob that goes from 6V6's to EL84's, a free footswitch...the list just goes on and on. The only reason I cannot give this amp a 10 for features is a lack of density and presence controls. There also isn't a mid control for the clean channel, but my MXR 10 Band EQ pedal compensates for that quite easily.

mouser71
    I run a Suhr riot into the clean channel on mine, and it sounds great. You should be able to pair that with a tube driver, koko boost etc. to get more over the distortion, but I have not done that yet.
    yoandryg
    I use to have a 50 watt from vox and the rebel 30 is 2 time louder than the one I had. So what that tell u watt really have nothing to do with loudness. And I always play my rebel 30 in 1 watt in my church and no mic so inagen how loud it is and is a 400 feet church for capacity for 400 people and volumen at 7,8 or 9 o'ckock And some times I have to bring the volumen down that on the clean chanel and in hot chanel ,if put al gain I have to the put the volumem at 7 o'clock. So watt have nothing to do with loudness ,oh and fender is selling u a really cheapy amp so it will never sound like this one. Thi is a working musician amp, the fende one is a home amp to play it like 200 times and is done.