Renegade 212 review by Egnater

Egnater: Renegade 212

I use this amp with both a Fender American Standard Strat with single coils and an MIJ Squier with Suhr pickups. It sounds really good with both, when eq'ed a little bit. It suits my style of rock since it's easy to dial in a fairly distorted rock tone, but keep clarity, and make each note fairly distnict. It's not very noisy(unless I put the single coils in), but it isn't quite silent either. It's never been a huge problem for me. The amp isn't hugely diverse, but it isn't quite a one trick pony either. It can do decent cleans, to 80's metal, and all things in-between. The clean channel can distort at higher volume but that's usually a side effect of turning the channel volume up too high (though that's usually hard not to do, since the clean channel is a bit quieter than the distorted one, naturally and due to the shared master volume there needs to be some compensation). As I said before, the distortion doesn't get too brutal. It comes off as more of a heavy drive, until the very highest gain settings. It does everything I want it to very well, so I really enjoy the sound. It's one of my favorite amps.

It suits my style just about perfectly, and I'd say it's a good match for me. I've been playing guitar for four years, and I've owned a Peavey Valveking before this, and a Line 6 Flextone II, and this blows both of them away. If the amp were stolen or lost, the only thing I could imagine replacing it with would be an Axe FX II by Fractal Audio, but another Renegade would be perfectly fine too. I really love that the amp gets the rock tones so perfectly, I just wish it was a bit easier to get a liquid metal tone out of it. My favorite feature is probably the tube mix, since it lets me get more flexibility out of the amp and give slightly different character to the tones. The only thing I wish it had was just a little bit more gain on tap, though it's not a huge deal.

Yes. I use it at gigs without backups all the time. The only thing I'd ever consider using as a backup for it though, would be the same thing. It's given me no reason to believe it's not dependable as an amp. One thing about it that seems flimsy though, are the handles for picking up the amp. They haven't broken, but they feel to me like they can barely support the weight of the amp, and it worries me when I need to pick it up to load it into my car. The amp has never ever broken down on me, but for a short while, everytime I turned it off, there was a sort of a popping sound, but I just disconnected the speaker in the back of the amp every time I turned it off to make sure that it didn't affect my speakers.

I'm pretty sure the amp was made in either 2011 or 2012, so it's a pretty new one, bought it new from guitar center. The amp is versatile enough to handle any rock that I do to some metal, though it doesn't dish out brutal gain, which isn't something I need, and I'd just use a pedal if I wanted to. I'm primarily a Modern Rock guitarist in my band( in the vein of Coheed And Cambria), but I play a lot of Guthrie Govan too, so it was important it could handle both of those things. The amp has two channels, one clean one distortion with seperate EQ's but shared master volume(but it has dedicated channel volume too) and presence/density. It has a footswitch that allows you to switch between channels, turn reverb on and off and activate the effects loop. No headphone input, though that isn't a problem for me. The amp's coolest feature is it's Tube Mix which lets you switch between EL34 preamp tubes and 6L6's. The amp is also all tube.