Tourmaster 4212 review by Egnater

Egnater: Tourmaster 4212

I'm playing a Les Paul Double Cut with Burstbuckers. My band plays everything from jazz to rock to bossa. This amp cuts through everything and sounds fantastic. It's SILENT when just sitting and obscenely loud if you want it to be. The distortions take some tweaking, but once you get them honed in they're really superb. I will say, you cannot get a metal sound out of this guy without pedal assistance. This doesn't matter at all to me, but you're not going to get the balls of a triple rec out of it. I've owned Twin Reverbs and a Valveking on top of playing through just about everything on the market and this amp can hang with the best of them. It's way better than a Twin.

Play it. For me it's perfect. It's got a really Vintage tone. To compare it to the Twin Reverb, the Egnater is more biting. It doesn't have the silk of the Twin. This amp is ideal for most forms of rock, jazz, and especially blues. It sounds wicked.

I haven't had it that long, so I can't say for sure. However, it's SOLID. It's a bigtime back-breaker, though (90 lbs.) The wheels help. I'm recording with it soon, and I'm confident it will perform well. It's way more solid looking and feeling than any other combo I've ever played.

This amp is packed with some pretty useful functions. There are four channels that cover the cleanest to the dirtiest sounds. The amp comes with a footswitch that can select between them all (with no delay or popping). Each channel has it's own EQ, Density and presence knobs, gain, volume, contour, and a Switch between classic and modern - needless to say it's quite tweakable. There is also a master reverb, density, presence, and volume. I just got the amp, so I haven't played that much with the power grid, but you can play this amp at 100, 50, 25, or 10 watts. You can also vary the wattage for each channel. Pretty nifty.

b-rock34
    I have the head version (Tourmaster 4100). I get sick of you guys with the "muddy" comments. It is so easy to get rid of any muddy sounds! Maybe you're using too much gain. The thing has a lot of gain and I rarely turn it past 12 o'clock. I think the overdrive 2 channel is closest to Bogner or Soldano...but takes a lot of know tweaking to get there. No, it's not "the one" for me, but it's a damn good amp. Extremely versatile! I also have an Orange...but that's not "the one" either. I think I'll probably get a Soldano Decatone.
    b-rock34
    carpas69 wrote: If your going to spend 1399 on a tube amp, go for a mesa rectifier. There's good tone but when you start to turn it up it gets muddy. Hard to distinguish notes in between strums. Also, the knobs are a bit jumpy. Not too smooth
    I don't think you've actually played the thing. I'd love to know exactly which knobs you think are "jumpy", cuz I have one and they are NOT jumpy an any way whatsover! In fact, that's absolutely silly! These have some of the smoothest volume pots you can find! You're nuts! People trust me on this one. It's like owning something that's red, and then reading someone else say that it's black. I can see the muddy comment... it does take some tweaking to find those sweet spots (which is why it's not my very favorite amp...close, but not quite for me). But, the "jumpy knobs" comment is completely not true.
    Tedward
    i played the 100 watt 4 channel head, and i was actually pretty amazed classic and modern hi gain channels and super clean and dirty clean channels basically a perfect amp, for a $1500 headdddd i just wish they had a smaller 4 channel one