Tourmaster 4212 review by Egnater

Egnater: Tourmaster 4212

Purchased from: GC

Right now I am only playing a newer strat deluxe. The guitar sings through the amp. I play a lot of clean stuff and the amp sounds great. I haven't really done a lot of blasting with it since I am not a gigging musician. With the power grid it is possible to get great tones at lower volumes. The speakers that came with the amp give it a very tight sound in the low to mid ranges. I am saying this because before this amp I have played on mostly practice amps and louder solid state amps and went I went to this amp I was blown away. I tried a bunch of other amps in the 1000-2000 price range and I picked this one because of the fearures and variety of tones. It also had the kinds of sounds that I personally like. The you can get the mid to high ranges under control on this amp which is important to me because on some other amps, there is too much high pitch sounds or they sound to bluesy. So I can dial this amp to get a great tone that's also comfortable to listen to while I play for a couple of hours.

I hate how this amp is so heavy. Once you get it in it's spot, It is a pleasure to look at. It is fun to play on. I have a lot of pedals that I either put in the front or through the loop and this amp sounds great. It is a great amp and at a resonable price. But I am not going over other amps. it's like comparing a ferrari to a lambo. I got the ferrari and there are lambos out there. If I had the money to buy another amp I would consider this amp again but lifes too short to only have one amp.

Uh, I had the amp for about a week and it had the strangest error. It would be hard to describe. It is not a regular tube problem. Probably an internal loose connection or blown component. Well anyways, I took it back to guitar center and they sent me a new one. I got a floor model amp originally. When you to the GC and look at all the clowns in there going to town on the instruments and amps that might explain what happened to my amp. Or I could have gotten an amp that someone returned. I think now if I am going to get something that expensive from their store, I am going to make sure it is new.

I got this amp at GC. This amp has hell of features. 4 channels and all that. you can read all about it on the GC website or egnaters site. With the multidude of features that this amp has, they should have went all the way and had more options to individually assign FX loops. There is only 1 loop, you can assign to multiple things, but since you can make ch1 and ch2 sound almost identical it would have been nice to have seperate effect loops. The detail of the construction is great. The amp looks really sharp. I hope that all that weight serves a purpose. My back will Hurt for a day or so every time I have to move it. It has a very good feature to price ratio. All the different knobs and selectors really help you get a variety of tubes out of the amp.

jblittlefield
    I bought one of these @ GC for $1300 after the Mesa 5/50 I bought crapped out. I should've ordered another Mesa... Decent enough sounds; however, the power grid doesn't work as well as it should, the contour controls suck tone, and lugging this beast around was a pain in the a$$! Nice amp, but WAY overpriced IMHO -- a retail of $1000 would be more reasonable. I traded it in for a Kustom Defender 50 1x12 (I run it through a B-52 4x12 with Vintage 30's). The Kustom has none of the features of the Tourmaster, but it sounds alot better and at $439, I'm getting MUCH more bang for my buck (even after adding a Carl Martin Quattro it was cheaper than the Egnater).
    lllostmotelll
    Save up your cash and then go to GC and tell them you can give them 1100 on the spot if they sell you the amp. Nine times out of ten, they will do it. Did that with my EMGs, got 75 bucks knocked off the 200 dollar price tag.
    sg4ever
    I compared the combo and halfstack. It could definitely do with a speaker change. The combo sounded good, but the head into a nice cab sounded better.
    bokma
    Great amp. I got one brand new Tourmaster head for $600. Gotta love dutch auctions