Tweaker review by Egnater

Egnater: Tweaker

If the player is looking for a sound ranging from Clapton, to Hendrix, to Vaughan, or even the Beatles, he or she will be pleased. The Tweaker has virtually no noise, unless external distortion/overdrive pedals are used. Being mostly a blues player, I was incredibly satisfied with the tonal range this amp has, from a Fender Twin Reverb, to a Marshall Bluesbreaker, and most everything in between. Hard rock and metal players had better count on using an external distortion effect, however. I am currently playing this amp using a Fender Standard Stratocaster with Seymour Duncan pickups or a Jackson Dinky with Seymour Duncans, a Boss Noise Suppressor, a DigiTech DF-7 Distortion, a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion, a Dunlop Cry Baby 535 Q wah, and a Vox Tonelab ST multi-fx. Again, it sounds fantastic for blues, but could use more gain, and at times, doesn't handle volumes past 1:00 very well. Overall, however, it is more than worth the price.

Overall, this is a fantastic amplifier for the money, and blows other micro stacks (Vox Night Train, Marshall Haze) right out of the water. The only things I wish it had are more wattage, a wattage selector, and maybe a bit more gain. I have been playing for about five years, and I have played some truly fantastic amps, such as the Fender Bassman combo, Marshall JVM stack, and the Vox AC-30 Handwired combo, and this lives up to the legacy of those great amplifiers (On a much smaller scale, of course). If it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again, as it is hard to come across a Class-A tube amp of this quality.

This amp is very dependable, but like most tube amps, requires servicing. Be sure to replace the 6V6 power tubes after about a year of daily use. However, It is built with quality, as most Egnater amplifiers are. I would not, however, use it on a gig without a solid-state backup.

The Egnater Tweaker was released earlier in 2010. It is a single-channel, 15-Watt, Class A tube amp, and an absolute tone monster. Ranging from the sounds of a Marshall JTM-45, to a Vox AC-30, all the way to a Fender Bassman, this amp is perfect for blues, jazz, and classic rock. Featuring five "Tweaker Switches", a variety of tones are available. The "Tweaker Switches" are as follows: VINTAGE/MODERN (Voicing), USA/VX/BRIT (EQ), HOT/CLEAN (Gain Level), BRIGHT/NORMAL, and TIGHT/DEEP (both are additional tone controls). With a 3-Band EQ, Master Volume, Gain knob, and 12-in. Celestion G12-H speaker, the Egnater Tweaker not only has enough volume for gigging, but versatility as well. Another awesome feature, is the additional 1/4 jack for external speakers, with switchable impedance (4-Ohm,8-Ohm, 16-Ohm). Because of this, the Egnater Tweaker head can handle most any type of cab (1x12, 2x12, 4x12) in case you need that extra volume. The head also boasts a buffered effects loop, and the cab contains dual 1/4 in. 16-Ohm jacks for multiple heads. Metal fans will be slightly disappointed by the amount of gain this amp is capable of, but the Celestion easily handles a distortion pedal, at moderate volumes. Overall, this amp is great from the bedroom to the stage at a smaller venue. The only thing it really lacks is a Power Grid (Similar to the Egnater Tourmaster) for variable wattage.

fenderstrat6485
    BearCaveEcho wrote: I played one at GC, but it was the solid state and not the head. But Egnator did a kick job with it, I really like the hot gain. It's pretty damn dirty, I loved the way it made some guitars just shine... not like it didn't do that with all, but A certain Gibson E-339 just happened to be a winner... (not like I can afford it), but I would say I should stick with my Orange Crush 30W... although this little beast was mighty nifty...
    I think you mean the combo, not the solid state. Egnater doesn't make solid state amplifiers.
    AE25RR wrote: i played one for four hours today at guitar center, and i was blown away... i think, call me crazy, but i prefer it to my dual rectifier, which i never thought i would say. i was playing hard rock on it, and getting nice pinch harmonics using my prs custom 24, so i think the reviewer under estimated it. it has plenty of gain for modern alternative rock, and i played some earlier alter bridge stuff on it and it sounded great. very smooth and responsive. since it is a one channel amp i am considering buying two of these since they r pretty cheap for what they are, and having one set for clean and another for dirty and a/b switching them. best amp at this proce range hands down, im in love
    Agree with you bro. Personally, I'm using passive pickups, but I suppose you could get some gain with active ones. It is definitely very smooth and responsive. But I'm playing out of a Dimebucker for my metal guitar, which is passive. I was looking for the "Krankenstein" sound. However, glad you liked it man. Keep on rockin'.
    rockforlife1207
    AE25RR
    Seref
    Hells.Mascot wrote: Darker = better
    For you, maybe. The Vox is designed for that treble-y and bright British mid-to-high gain sound. The Tweaker can't get close to that tone, which is a shame. Darker is better for american voicings and modern gain, I guess.
    fenderstrat6485
    TsarBomba wrote: rockforlife1207 wrote: everyone, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i tried this amp out at guitar center and it just plain sucked. i put a marshall and a vox next to this amp and didnt get the tweaker's tones even CLOSE to those other amps. it sounded like the sound literally was farting out of the amp and it sounded very cheap. yet again, im sorry if anyone is offended by this but i know from personal experience. i thought this amp looked fantastic online and i t had great reviews, but once i tried it out all of my love for it went right out the window... but i am happy to announce that i bought a vox ac15c1 and i am loving it! lol, as if your one opinion constitutes 'bad news'.
    Testify.
    Hells.Mascot
    Seref wrote: Honestly, I liked the Night Train way more than the Tweaker. I couldn't get the Tweaker to give the same raw roaring high-mids sound as the Night Train. It's versatile, but it can't give you that punched-in-the-gut-with-mids feeling. It's voiced way darker.
    Darker = better
    TsarBomba
    lol, as if your one opinion constitutes 'bad news'.
    Seref