Vengeance Head review by Egnater

Egnater: Vengeance Head

Purchased from: zZounds.com

Aw, this is where we all scroll down to actually read the review. I'll try not to go overboard here, but I think I'll always play Egnater from now on. My gear is (amp to guitar): EHX Stereo Memory Man > Morley Little Alligator Volume > Behringer Vintage Phaser > DOD FX40 EQ > Arion Tubulator Overdrive (tubescreamer clone) > EHX BassBalls Filter > Schecter C-7 Hellraiser (EMG 707tw). This is all running straight throught the front, not the FX loop. Although, I do have a Send cable coming from the FX loop into my EHX Iron Lung Vocoder, which is running into another amp for vocals. Which further illustrates the flexibility of the amp. No unwanted noise at all. It's actually very quiet with distortion on. I'm using a cheap "pawn shop special" custom Celestion 4x12 cabinet. I paid 80 bucks for it and had to re-wire it. It has two Celestion V1280s and two Celestion G12L35s. I wired these series/parallel in a criss-cross pattern. I lucked out with this "Frankensteined" cab. It sounds pretty damned good. I almost always run my amp in the full 120 watt mode. I'm amazed how smooth this amp sounds. My EMGs (almost) don't sounds like EMGs. In that I meant, when I'm playing clean it sounds like I'm playing a low-tuned Les Paul. But with distortion it has that nice bite that the 707s are known for. I should also mention, I'm tuned pretty low (low to high) GDGCFAD. I use heavy strings too 72 56 46 36 26w 17 13. But no matter what I play or how I play it, it always sounds good... Really good! There is a lot of gain here. I have mine set (on the low gain setting) around 9 o'clock. With my Overdrive and EQ pedals boosting it, it's perfect. I'm in a band with only me as the guitarist, so clarity is really important. I have two small complaints. I don't like the Direct Recording out. I thought it sounded very dull and lifeless. I just use an SM57 slightly off-axis up on the speaker cab for better results. Also not crazy about the Reverb. I think a nice pedal would sound better. Been playing for over 15 years, and I've never been happier with my sound than I am now!

Judging by my gear, it would seem I'm a Metal player. I'm more of a Progressive Metal/Rock player I guess. I do play Metal riffs and they sound amazing through this amp! In fact, I find myself playing riffs I've never attempted before. My lead playing has really improved with this amp. It's made me a better player, with an awesome array of different sounds. I love this amp so much, I get goosebumps every time I power it up. If you want to hear how I play it, you can check out a link to my band's YouTube channel below. The most recent videos, have me playing with my Vengeance. I hope this was helpful. Thanks!

In the two months I've had it so far, no problems. The built quality is top-notch. It's a bit heavy, but sometimes that's a good thing. I wouldn't hesitate to gig without a backup. But maybe that's only because I don't own a backup.... yet.

Copied from zZounds.com: - 120-Watt All Tube Head - Selectable Full/Half Power Switch (120/60-Watts) - Two Independent Channels each With: - Volume, Gain and 3-band EQ - Tight and Bright Voicing Switches - Mids Cut or Boost Voicing Switch - High/Low Gain Switch - Independent Reverb Controls with "Spillover" - Master Controls: - Presence & Density - Main and Secondary Master Volumes - Six Button Footswitch for: - Channel Select - Channel 1 Mids - Channel 2 Mids - Effects Loop - Reverb - 2nd Master Volume - Assign the Effects Loop and 2nd Master to Channel 1, Channel 2 or Both - Connects to Amp Via a Standard XLR Cable - Additional 1/4 in. Jacks for External Control of Switching Functions - Simple Bias Adjust with External Test Points - Balanced XLR Cabinet Voiced Line / Recording Output - Buffered Effects Loop with Send and Return Levels - 117V / 230V Voltage Selector Very versatile, with these features. The foot switch is very nice. Channel switching is very fast! I really like the MIDs boosts on both channels. It allows me to punch through certain parts. My amp is the newest of the bunch, with 6L6 tubes and not EL34 like the earlier models. Although it has biasing knobs on the back. You could put almost any type of tube in it. The manual have all the info you need to do this. Speaking of the manual; it has a ton of useful stuff in it. It don't feel it's lacking anything. Wanted to mention, I've owned this for two months now.