44 Magnum Power Amp review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: 44 Magnum Power Amp

Purchased from: net

I play swing and jump style blues, and like a clean tone. I mainly play arch-tops, 6120 Gretsch, is my main guitar. I plug straight into the amp, no effects. I have been really freaking jammers out with this little thing. I bring a little 12 inch cab that I made, and that is it! I don't have any problem competing with a drummer, and the tone is just fine. I don't think I have had the volume up more than eleven o'clock, and I keep the toggle up to bright.

Blues, old school, not blues rock. Been playing over 35 years. If this were stolen, I am sure I would get another. I love my tube amps, Fender Vibrolux Reverb, 1963 Fender Bandmaster, customized tweed Peavey Delta Blues with 15 inch speaker, and a Fender Blues Jr, with heavy duty tranny. What I love about this little amp is size compared to amount of clean volume I can get. I take this and my little cab with two cables and my guitar, how much simpler can you get? I can't be picky about features, how would a reverb chip sound in this?

I can't see this amp having any problems. I suppose the weak link I see is the power chord it comes with, but if careful, should last years. I play professionally, and have learned that you have to take care of your equipment. Loading and unloading on the road creates alot of wear and tear. I keep extra tubes for all my tube amps, and rarely have had any problems. This little 44mag seems like it can take abuse and keep on going, though I won't test it on abuse personally.

Simple little amp. I am a professional musician, and when I have time off I like to hit some local jams. I bought it for the sole purpose of having a backup to my backup tube amps, and have really enjoyed bringing this to a jam, and get the baffling looks. I have used it on some smaller intimate gigs, and it performed beautifully. At jams, I just plug straight in, and at gigs, I have my wah, MC 402, and Boss tuner, then to amp.