44 Magnum Power Amp review by Electro-Harmonix

Electro-Harmonix: 44 Magnum Power Amp

Purchased from: ebay

I actually bought this pedal for the sole reason of putting on my pedalboard to power my Heil talkbox. I use a a/b switcher to go between my normal amp and this pedal for the talkbox. For this purpose by the way, it's awesome. Diverting straight into this with no effects - the power and breakup is perfect for a talkbox (around 10/11 o'clock). But it is when I plug this into my cab (greenbacks) I was actually blown away by the tone and sound of this little thing, I liked the tone so much it was good enough for home and rehearsal I usually find myself using it instead of killing my tubes. Through a 2x12 Greenback cab, I always leave it on bright setting (I usually play Vox tube amps and am use to the so called "Vox sparkle") through both my Les Paul and Tele I am amazed at the sound it produces. Breakup sounds really good, and with a tube screamer out front it can wail. Pedal board / preamp / eq in front, you can make this sound great. Is it loud, yes. Loud enough to rehearse and gig? Yes. Keep it clean with the volume control on your guitar. VERY highly recommended - if even just as a backup amp!

For rock, funk, pop and probably jazz - this is great. Potential uses: 1. Your main amp on a budget (Yep, especially with some pedals and eq in front. Provided you have a decent cab/speaker) 2. Powering a "non powered" talk box like a Heil like I have. 2. Spare/backup amp. The amp I used before this to power my talkbox was a Vox Lil' Night Train, which is a 2 watt tube amp. But I felt a little overkill and annoying as part of my rig just for the talkbox. So the beauty of the 44 Magnum is that it is so small and can just take up a spot on your pedalboard. And then, worst case, it doubles as a spare amp you always have with you!

YouTube preview picture

Can't really complain about reliability at all. I have had issues with some EH pedals in the past (humms, power supplies etc.) but the last few I have bought including this (e.g. Holy Grail, Nano Chorus) have been without fault.

Features... Hmm... It's a power amp that's both an amp, and powerful. I doubt anyone could expect many features from this amp, really the only thing you could ever want was a little more tone control, but this is nothing a simple EQ pedal out front (or something like a tube screamer) can't address if needed. If I was really pedantic, it would be absolutely perfect if it could use the power from my usual pedal power outlet. For example, I use a Dunlop multi-outlet. I understand it needs a lot more juice than your average pedal though - but that would be ideal. Even if it could somehow use 3 of the 9v sockets?

260bpm
    I own this power amp pedal and man its great for home practicing and gigs, had about one year now and had no problems, but never turn the power on to this unless you have the speaker cable connected..great pedal amp, loud