E320 Thunder 50 Reverb Combo review by Engl

Engl: E320 Thunder 50 Reverb Combo

Price paid: € 450

Purchased from: 2nd hand

I'm using a Cort TS 200, it's basically a Les Paul Goldtop copy but affordable. I play anyhting from Hendrix to Ozzy to some trash/heavy stuff like Megadeth. Using an OD pedal is overkill since there's tons of gain. If you want that tight djent sound roll back gain and pick better. The clean channel sounds very sparkly and is compressed just enough. The crunch is good for any kind of 70's rock and the lead goes from very heavy to singing leads. I have my gain from 5-6 and it does all these sounds I just mentioned. It does get noisy, but that's only with gain from 8-10 and I doubt you'll VERY need that much gain!

I play a lot of classics and more modern stuff. This amp suits it all. It sounds like an Engl and that's what makes it so awesome I guess! I compared it to alot of tube amps over the years, this is the best one I ever heard imo. I got so lucky to get it at this price! It satisfies my needs and if you ever see one, go give it a try!

If this thing wasn't reliable, nothing would be. Metal cover in front of speaker, not too heavy to be honest (about 18kg) and the electronics look VERY well put together. The guy I bought it from gigged it endlessly and had never had any problem!

Well first thing is first: VEEEEERY good amp. It can do anything if you want it to, may not be the most versatile amp (e.g. Shared eq, 1 gain knob, no presence or resonance control) but the tone that it delivers is juicy, sparkly and pure tube tone!

Effects loop has a mix control, so you can run a delay in parallel to the dry signal or just full on fx. Reverb is good and usable, too bad it can't be switched on/off by the footswitch! I use this amp to play at home (yes, it can sound good at low volume), record and Jam with friends (no drummer! But I'm more than sure it would keep up with a band). 50 watts is friggin' loud people, more than enough power for ANY situation and clean headroom will remain at VERY high volumes. Oh yeah, it has speaker outputs to run 8 and 16 ohm cabs.

F.O.O.D
    & when having to play at a moments notice and even on practise, other valve amps sounding like mud. But the Engel Thunder 50 Reverb, is up there with the best I reckon, though I still have to get use to a whole new sound. The clean channel, is superb for Jazz lead and playing the Yamaha 1500 F/hole semi electric Guitar in it, you'd think George Benson was pumping his sound out of it. I got the amp for a steal and most probably be my first and last amp
    crazytjeuh
    Yeah dude this amp is great! I only use the lead channel and roll back my guitar volume for other sounds. Such a simple but great setup!
    MaggaraMarine
    crazytjeuh
    MaggaraMarine wrote: There's also a model without reverb (Thunder E 322) that costs almost 100 less. And it also has a crunch volume control that this model doesn't have. I wouldn't see myself spending 100 more on something that I rarely need. I mean, reverb is kind of cool but I could live without it. And if I were a reverb user, I think I would already have a stompbox for it. So if I was going to buy this amp, I would buy the version without reverb for 100 cheaper. Though the reviewer got this 2nd hand and for a good price.
    Hey man, Yeah i first thought this one was the one without reverb, but when i got to the owners home i saw it was the reverb one. You don't really need the volume control though! The amps core tone is very good so no need for external overdrive. I'm very happy with my purchase and it weights less than most 50 watt full tube heads
    F.O.O.D
    I just bought a Engl Thunder 50 watt Reverb and before that, I never heard of such an Amp, till I stumbled across it in large music shop in Brisbane Australia, in the process of closing down. Checked it out, played it with a Yamaha Ase 1500 F hole Guitar, top of the range for all Yamaha's and the sound that came out of it, both clean and distorted, blow me away. The Reverb is awesome to the type of Music I play, example Fusion Genre.It warms up quicker then most valve amps, which is good.I was put off Valve amps in the past before I came across the Engl amps, for there slow warm up