E330 Screamer 50 review by Engl

Engl: E330 Screamer 50

Purchased from: Thomann

I use the amp with Les Pauls, Tele's, Strats, even cheap guitars sound great through it, the amp let's the Guitars individual sound Shine through. As I've said before, I play numerous styles, from Blues-Rock, to Country to Heavy Metal, all done through this amazing little combo. The High Gain channel can be quite noisy, not hissy like a Marshall, but it will buzz when near bad earths etc. It will only feedback when controlled that way too, some settings can be quite toppy, even with treble and presence knocked back, but this amp does cut through the mix and a little tweak of the eq section soon sorts it all out. I get a great sound in every venue I play at, when I had Marshalls I was always tweaking the sound & getting frustrated. With my Engl I now do the same every gig, turn up, plug in & play, with no worries. Clean Channels, lovely and sparkly, plenty of depth, Soft Lead gives you the 70's Rock Style Gain, great with a Les Paul, then Heavy Lead gives you a lovely bottom end thump, plenty of gain on tap, my Lead Gain always stays on 12 o clock, that way I get plenty of wallop but without things going all mushy or compressed.

I have been playing Guitar for over 20 years now & have used a variety of amps over that time, think of this amp as a Rich Mans Peavey Bandit, a very workable tool, all valve, 4 channels, 2 power stages, loads of extension speaker options, 900 pounds seems expensive for a 50 watt combo, but everyone that hears my amp always comments on my great tone. I have used all kinds of amps over the years, but this one gave me the confidence to sell all my Marshall gear, now I never look back. I have tried Cornford, Blackstar, H&K, Fender, Peavey etc and would not trade any of those for my Engl. I now use the amp with a Harley Benton 2 x 12 Vintage Cab, WOW! Is all I can say, lots of bottom end punch, wish I'd done it sooner, it also sounds amazing driving a 4 x 12 cab. If this was stolen, I'd replace it with an identical model tomorrow.

I used to have another one of these amps but I sold it & now used this as my sole amplifier, no backup, which could be foolish, but this thing never breaks down, the footswitch (Z-5) is built like the amp, virtually indestructible. In three years of heavy use, (3 gigs a week, 2 rehearsals, studio sessions) this amp has never let me down.

Bought this amp brand new approximately three years ago, I did have a 2nd hand older model but decided to buy this newer version. I am in two Covers Bands and also work as a semi pro session Guitarist so needed an amp to cover all styles, something which my old Marshall JCM900 and TSL100 couldn't do. This amp has 4 channels and two power stages, which is superb as a Lead Boost, effects loop, multiple speaker outs. This amp is 50watts of pure valve power all housed in a 1 x 12 combo. Built like a tank, it's been dropped twice by careless road crew and still surivived intact. This amp is very loud, I use it unmic'd at most gigs & it still has plenty of headroom, always have master volume up full to cook the valves, but Channel Volumes never go past 12 o clock.

Eddeh
    Haha you guys need to get louder! I run this baby at 6 or 7 and then it really starts to sound superb. Also a noisegate fixes the feedback problem
    jester96
    would it be good if i plug an jackson rr24 on it? i mean is the high gain enough or i will need a pedal and stuff like that?
    dementiacaptain
    shermans wernt german.
    SwampAshSpecial wrote: GAS! I have to say it definitely reflects on the durability when 2 of the 3 reviewers compare the amp to German Tanks...
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: MaggaraMarine wrote: This thing is damn loud. We kept the master volume at 2 (the channel vol was full) in our band practice and that was loud enough to play in a band. We had it at 3 and that was way too loud for playing in our band house. And this thing has sooo much gain. We kept the gain at 4 (hi gain channel) and that was enough. At first it was at 7 and there was so much feedback that we had to turn it off and lower the gain. But it's nice sounding and you will have more gain and volume than you will need. And cleans were great too. OH, I forgot to ask: Do you need to keep the master volume or channel volumes full to get the best sound? Isn't it like that that channel volume is pre amp volume and master volume is power amp volume?
    Sorry about so many questions. So do I need to crank up the power amp or pre amp to get the best sound? That's the question I'm asking. Or is it the best to keep the channel and master volumes both at something like 12 o'clock? I think that could be a bit loud but I mean that is it the best to keep the both master and channel volumes at about the same or should I keep another of those at max?