E606 Ironball review by Engl

Engl: E606 Ironball

Price paid: € 950

Purchased from: 4sound denmark

Specs from Engl site: Preamp: 2 Channels sharing one EQ (Bass, Middle, Treble) plus Presence, Gain Boost & Gain Control for each channel, extra Volume Control for the Rhythm/Lead Channel, Reverb, 4 x ECC83 Master Section: 20 Watts (2x EL84 power amp tubes), Power Soak (20W, 5W, 1W, Speaker Off), Master Volume Control & Master Volume Boost (MVB) with fixed setting for a second Master Volume. Outputs: Headphone Out, Speaker Out (8 Ohm, 16 Ohm), Frequency Compensated Out, Serial FX Loop (Send & Return) Compatible Footswitch: Z-3, Z-4 Dimensions & Weight: 33, 5 x 14, 2 x 21, 7 cm, 7 kg. No pedal to switch the channels. Big minus. For this price they've could have included the Z3 (their cheapest pedal).

It can do a lot of styles. I play mainly classic rock now and it does the job perfect. Clean channel is a big surprise. Relly love plying on it. The dirt channel. Well it's an Engl. No surprise here. Loving the gain boost. Really good for soloing or some heavy blues on the clean channel. I also love the power reduction. I can safely play it in the house on the 1 watt setting (master at 4. It's more than enough), or at night with the headphones (not that good sound but good for late night practicing). I only play a single coil strat on it and the sounds that I'm getting out are really good.

Build like a tank. Steel metal casing. Valves are really well protected by metal covers. Although i did have a problem with it just after I got it, it was resolved by a tech (fx loop jack for send was "dirty"). A bit of a pain changing valves. You have 6 bottom screw that fix the chassis to the cover. Then 4 screws in the back to detach the power reductor. Then detaching the power reductor. Then pulling out the chassis. Took me an hour to change the valves. Not really efficient, but at least the chassis is well protected.

I'm satisfied with it. The sound is really really good. Lot's of features. But also some big minuses.. For this price they could have included a footswitch for the channels.. And some proper valves (it came with Engl valves. Good. But when I changed them to Tung-Sol... Pure ecstasy. If it would get lost/stolen, yeah, would buy another one. Good for practice and gigging (with a backup). Before I bought it I did look at some other amps (like Orange TH30 or the Victory  V30) the main thing that attracted me to this one was the power reduction... 20 w, 5 w, 1 w and headphones. That was the deal sealer for me. I needed an amp that I could use in home practicing situations and for gigs. Band rehearsals. Also packed with features that most amps don't have in this category (reverb, midi, gain boost, volume boost). I do recommend it but be prepared to dish some cash on a footswitch (I will buy the Z9 midi one) and some proper valves.

AlWray
    This thing is absolutely great. You can really have fat rock sounds at bedroom level.If you know how to dial it in, you can get tones from Hendrix to Metallica. It is one of the best low wattage amps i have ever tried and i love it. My opinion would be ten out of ten if you keep in mind what it is intended for.